Who was your favorite character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Re: Who was your favorite character?

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I loved Tim and Garth. They provided comic relief while discussing a serious topic. I really enjoyed their enthusiasm for their work!
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I loved Tim and Garth. They provided comic relief while discussing a serious topic. I really enjoyed their enthusiasm for their work!
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
I loved Tim and Garth! Their enthusiasm was great and I felt like they provided some comic relief.

I agree with your opinion of Sky. He was just awful.
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 05:56 Hmm, I would have to say, Glenn, I found his genuine affection and love for Cynthia quite endearing. He is also quite pragmatic and level-headed which I think was a nice dichotomy between him and Cynthia. (I'm also just a bit of a sucker for good brother-sister relationships)
Besides Tim and Garth, I really liked Glenn, too. You could tell he was a good guy. He was also practical, which was a good contrast to Cynthia, like you mentioned. I think I liked these 3 men because they weren't part of the annoying romance part of the story.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 11:00
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:50
DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
Totally agree! I liked the nerd squad the best for sure. I also thought it was so strange that Sky went to church to confess his sin. Really just one sin!? And then he continued with the same behavior afterward. I really despised Sky as a character!
I share your hatred for Sky as a character. Confessing only one sin, one which you keep on doing was an antagonistic move...serial killer-ish.
Seems like everyone agrees on these two! (Myself included.) But I suppose that Sky's awfulness is what made him a good character. And the nerd squad was just priceless!
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 05:56 Hmm, I would have to say, Glenn, I found his genuine affection and love for Cynthia quite endearing. He is also quite pragmatic and level-headed which I think was a nice dichotomy between him and Cynthia. (I'm also just a bit of a sucker for good brother-sister relationships)
I found Glenn to be a character I could like, not so were Cynthia, Sky or Dan. Cynthia's behavior like someone who lacked common was not tolerable.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 03:07 Despite constantly facing unusual situations, a forgotten pregnancy, and running the war on cyber-terrorism, I still liked Cynthia as my favorite character and enjoyed what she contributed to the plot.
Who was your favorite character, and why?
I don't have a best character in this book, but Cynthia was the one adding color to the plot.
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

Cynthia is my fav.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I liked Glenn the most. He seems the only level-headed one. I did not like Cynthia. She seems too very gullible (uh, let's see, always in a mess). I liked Dan a little for a while. I liked Sky the first few chapters.
Kyla-K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kyla-K »

I really didn't like Cynthia, for numerous reasons. Glenn though I found to be a character you could actually get behind and genuinely like and empathize with.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Cynthia's boss Mike is my favorite character of the book. He is inspiring for me and I like his neutral role in the story. The scenes of Cynthia's professional life are one of the parts of the story I can identify with!
kristib44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristib44.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kristib44 »

I gotta go with the geeks. They were the only characters who made sense to me; I felt that they had more of a three-dimensional quality about them than the other characters. They were worried about what they were doing, genuinely cared about the work, and had troubles and triumphs that the rest of the characters didn't seem to have.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I honestly have a hard time answering this question since there wasn't any character I particularly liked. If we go by least worse, then Glenn would probably fit the bill, simply because there's nothing to complain aside from his lack of development or characterization beyond the bare minimum. He's more like a plot device than a character, but hey, it works. At the very least, his competence puts him above everyone else.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Tim and Garth, aka the nerds, were so much fun to read about! They definitely brought a certain lightness (without over doing it) to the story.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

The competence of the nerd squad appealed most to me. Tim and Garth were my favorite characters.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”