What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by Gracedscribe »

I think the lack of depth in the writing led to the kind of hollowness the book seems to display. Everything from characterisation to storyline seems to lack a definite plan or thought process.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

It was all over the place for me as well! I didn't feel the romance fit the storyline. It was clear Cynthia wanted more from Dan but not very believable how quickly she fell for Skye. Who would trust someone that quickly? For Cynthia to be so strong and independent, her internal instincts sure failed her! There is no way I would have went home with him especially after the drone landing on the White House lawn. As far as Cynthia not having friends, I didn't find it that odd. I have one really close friend I talk to every day, but other than that I have some acquaintances. I did feel Skye was a little demanding but that could have been a play on his job.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I never think cheating is acceptable, no matter how we try to justify our actions or vilify the person being cheated on. The love triangle situation was very wearying and my patience with Cynthia was completely shot. As for why she doesn't have friends, people gravitate towards smart, sensible and charismatic people. As Cynthia is none of those, her lack of friends is believable.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I found Cynthia and sky's relationship feigned. Sky's character was too tricky for me while Cynthia was way too trusting. I think the author should have focused more on the computer geeks side.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

Deceit is not justifiable in anyway but instant love occurs;it maybe about one`s charisma that one finds charming and the undeniable fact that one notices that one is indeed attractive. A detail the author omitted intentionally about Sky and Dan which defines both relations different.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

mmm17 wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 13:15 I did not enjoy the romance passages at all. They felt forced and stereotyped to me, but most of all, I found them a bit cheesy. I basically liked the parts involving the computer geeks.
Yes, that’s it! Stereotyped and cheesy. When intelligent people start spewing words of love within the first days of knowing each other, we have to ask questions as to their motives or their intelligence, not to mention their principles.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

As per me, love at first sight doesn't sound so realistic to some extent. Maybe it's just some infatuation which will fade with time. I found it hard to believe that Sky really loved Cynthia. About cheating, there can never be a reason for cheating, atleast non that I know of.
Books are beautiful.
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

Love between Dan and Cynthia is real. The descriptive aspect of Dan in relation to Cynthia atouses my curiosity. Cynthia describes romantic scenarios with Dan and for sure one can feel the energy they have for one another.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

I love a good love triangle, but the love triangle in this book just felt awkward and very intense.
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

Only1Cola wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 05:20
mmm17 wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 13:15 I did not enjoy the romance passages at all. They felt forced and stereotyped to me, but most of all, I found them a bit cheesy. I basically liked the parts involving the computer geeks.
Yes, that’s it! Stereotyped and cheesy. When intelligent people start spewing words of love within the first days of knowing each other, we have to ask questions as to their motives or their intelligence, not to mention their principles.
Soooo cheesy, it kind of was coined off the idea of 'love at first sight' but it seemed more like lust at first sight....
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

faint9 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 15:14 Love between Dan and Cynthia is real. The descriptive aspect of Dan in relation to Cynthia atouses my curiosity. Cynthia describes romantic scenarios with Dan and for sure one can feel the energy they have for one another.
I wished that she had stuck to the relationsip between Cynthia and Dan because, you right, it did feel more real
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

Brandy C wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 18:34 It was all over the place for me as well! I didn't feel the romance fit the storyline. It was clear Cynthia wanted more from Dan but not very believable how quickly she fell for Skye. Who would trust someone that quickly? For Cynthia to be so strong and independent, her internal instincts sure failed her! There is no way I would have went home with him especially after the drone landing on the White House lawn. As far as Cynthia not having friends, I didn't find it that odd. I have one really close friend I talk to every day, but other than that I have some acquaintances. I did feel Skye was a little demanding but that could have been a play on his job.
In the beginning of the book, the author basically described Cynthia as head over heels for Dan but seeing just how quickly she feel for Dan seemed out of place for Cynthia
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

Bles wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 17:20 As per me, love at first sight doesn't sound so realistic to some extent. Maybe it's just some infatuation which will fade with time. I found it hard to believe that Sky really loved Cynthia. About cheating, there can never be a reason for cheating, atleast non that I know of.
Yessss, I agree. I felt like Sky liked Cynthi because he wanted to have relations with her and tried to wow her but showing her his lavis lifestyle. He was showboating her throughout the whole book
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I just finished this book. I am not a strong believer of love at first site and felt like that Sky had an alternative motive in pursuing Cynthia.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

In my opinion, there is not justifiable reason for cheating. If it is not working out in one relationship for whatever reason, quit it before getting into another one. That is what Cynthia should have done with Dan and Sky. It is completely possible that Cynthia didn't have any friends, I didn't find that hard do believe. I wish people will stop justifying cheating in books and real life. As for romance and suspense in one book, I am sure there are books that do both just fine.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”