What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I did not like Cynthia cheating. It is OK that she fell in love with Sky. But she kept it a secret to Dan. It was awful. Dan got angry because he cared for Cynthia. Cynthia should have understand that Dan was not rich and had to work to afford things for Cynthia. That was why he was unavailable at sometimes. It was not because that he did not want her as his girlfriend. I agree his jealousy was a bit too much but isn't it how most people would act in a situation like this despite the tracking devices and the false police report? Also I felt as if Sky was emotionally manipulative where abortion scene was considered. He was confusing Cynthia. His dialogues were very cheesy. But I was glad it had a Happy ending after all.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Cynthia and Dan's relationship was in a rut, so I think the book should have just been named Cynthia - Cyber Wars. As for her thing with Sky, not realistic at all. She was way too trusting, way too quickly with a stranger who clearly has control issues.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

This is most unrealistic romance I have read in a while. The author tried too hard to make Sky the epitome of manners. But he came across as a creep, chauvinist, and patronizing. Cynthia's feelings towards Dan were condescending; Sky and Cynthia's relationship made me cringe. The dialogues were too artificial.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I agree, if the author had just chosen one lane it would have been better. The main character felt like someone’s idea of a woman, not realistic.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

All Cynthia's relationship were unbelievable and boring they captured no element of reality. And to be honest the author clearly justified cheating on our partners.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I must be honest, the romance and relationship contained in this book was boring. It actually turned me off. It captured to element of reality.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I was just confused and I preferred the cyber war part of this book.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Cheating is never ok. Sky was not the epitome of gentlemanliness; he was creepy. I was uncomfortable reading his actions towards Cynthia. The romance highlighted in this book is not healthy.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Cynthia and Dan were so fake. They just met and have already explored everything as though they were married. It was so weird.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

Cynthia's relationship with sky was full of scars. At first, they met at a time she was supposed to be gathering informations. But it all turned into a mess. Cynthia's potentials was not worthy of such an irresponsible relationship.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I think the book has exposed the flawed nature of romance. While Cynthia would cite the lack of a spark in her relationship with Dan as the root cause of her cheating, it is rare that any lasting relationship would retain the same vigor as the first time. Even her relationship with Sky may soon go the same way.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Platonic Relationships were built okay but then the romance was unrealistic. More especially between Cynthia and Dan ,Cynthia actually owed an apology and explanation but the story moved on as it gave cheating a crown. Maybe a relationship between Cynthia and Sky was sweet but then It was not built with a good foundation.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Phooko Tebogo PC
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

PreciousExo wrote: 30 May 2021, 03:29 In my opinion, there is not justifiable reason for cheating. If it is not working out in one relationship for whatever reason, quit it before getting into another one. That is what Cynthia should have done with Dan and Sky. It is completely possible that Cynthia didn't have any friends, I didn't find that hard do believe. I wish people will stop justifying cheating in books and real life. As for romance and suspense in one book, I am sure there are books that do both just fine.
You are correct, the author narrated the story like she Is promoting cheating. Cynthia had to fix her mess with Dan before running in the arms of someone else.
~Phooko tebogo
Phooko Tebogo PC
Currently Reading:

Donald Trust wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 01:27 Cynthia and Dan were so fake. They just met and have already explored everything as though they were married. It was so weird.
Yeah, considering that the book's title screams their name I was a little disappointed on the romance part and the relation between Dan and Cynthia it was not well developed in my opinion.
~Phooko tebogo
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Very boring and out of context. The romance aspect lacks organization and was contradicting.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”