What is your opinion on Dan's character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: What is your opinion on Dan's character?

Post by Nisha Ward »

At first, I felt sorry for him. His yelling wasn't good, but I was able to reason that it was out of fear for Cynthia's safety given the circumstances. However, Mercer goes out of her way to portray him as pathetic and desperate to such an extent that he feels more like a plot device than an actual person. Moreover, he and Sky tend to do the same things but somehow it's worse with him? I don't understand it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 09:05
cpru68 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:00 Basically, Cynthia immaturely cheats on Dan and does the whole cover up thing, Dan wasn’t the problem because he really was portrayed as a nobody. Cynthia, she is the one that has major issues and is not likable for me.
I agree with this. I can't actually believe why Cynthia was hogging all the spotlight when she's not written well and flawed in all senses than Dan. I didn't like her from the start and seems like I was right.
The thing I don't get is this. She didn't just stand him up. In a time of upheaval, she basically disappeared and didn't even bother to check with him until the next day even though he'd sent that warning and tried to justify her cheating on him after. Like, he completely went overboard with the yelling, but it was easy to understand that his anger came from fear, or was supposed to. It made Cynthia look unsympathetic and unlikeable from the start and really didn't make her worth the attentions he got.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by mblmn_mortician »

I think there are many men who don't know what they've got, and then when it's gone, they can't hold themselves accountable for any responsibility. It was sad watching him go to the lengths he went to because he thought what they had was right, and that he wanted it back so badly. His grip on the reality of their relationship was quite off, and for her to accept him as a dear friend was possibly quite dangerous (though I don't think she was capable of seeing that).
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Orithea wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:56 This might be slightly off tangent but the first thing that felt weird for me about Dan’s character in general was the language he used in his messages to Cynthia. As a sergeant, I expect him to be generally serious and grounded (even boringly so) and write messages that sound like that. Not something like “Anser, Pleez!” or “OMG What hapend?” that sound like someone still in high school (seriously, smartphones have auto correct nowadays, so is he getting those words wrong on purpose?)
For me, this kind of language is okay with Cynthia’s character, but not ostensibly upstanding Sergeant Dan.
This is definitely not a major issue but just one of the little things that did not make Dan’s character feel believable to me.
Same here. Reading those texts annoyed me. It didn't really go well with his character. Well, most of the characters are not well-written so this is not surprising. However, compared to Cynthia and Sky, Dan is good enough.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Orithea wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:56 This might be slightly off tangent but the first thing that felt weird for me about Dan’s character in general was the language he used in his messages to Cynthia. As a sergeant, I expect him to be generally serious and grounded (even boringly so) and write messages that sound like that. Not something like “Anser, Pleez!” or “OMG What hapend?” that sound like someone still in high school (seriously, smartphones have auto correct nowadays, so is he getting those words wrong on purpose?)
For me, this kind of language is okay with Cynthia’s character, but not ostensibly upstanding Sergeant Dan.
This is definitely not a major issue but just one of the little things that did not make Dan’s character feel believable to me.

I was also thrown off by this. It made him seem so immature, especially with his hasty breakup instead of rationally talking things out with Cynthia. I think he could better have shown his concern for her by calmly talking things through instead of blowing up and leaving her. I didn't like that Cynthia cheated on him but it seems like neither of them was willing to work on the relationship and neither one seemed overly committed to it (except for the silly text messages and the "ILUVDAN" plates). His actions just seemed out of character for a level-headed police officer. I would have expected both Cynthia and Dan to have better communication skills because they were both high level professionals in their fields.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I feel like he wasn't in enough of the book to get a good feel for him. When he was there, he wasn't more than a plot device. He was supposed to be the opposite of Sky, a foil character of sorts, but other than that he wasn't important or convincing.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I feel that Dan is a spoiled brat. I feel that he only sees or thinks about what he wants and not the effect or how others feel.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It seemed that Cynthia and Dan had a relationship in a previous book that was carried over to this one. I felt that Cynthia was already over him and ready to move on, but Dan didn't get the memo! I think Dan's name in the title is confusing. In this book, Cynthia kicked him to the curb and spent all her time with Sky.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

In general, Dan's character was underdeveloped. He really did seem more like a fatherly figure to Cynthia when she stood him up on her date and too quickly decided to break things off without even trying to figure out what happened. From there he is barely mentioned except for their brief encounter where he figures out that Cynthia really only wants to be friends. Then, out of the blue he turns into this creepy stalker guy putting tracking devices in her car, even though he seemed so sweet when he came over to take care of her when she was sick. In general, he gave me the creeps, but I don't understand the logic behind his actions in the book. I wish he would have been developed more so I could understand the character.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Jlprince26 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:06 At first I saw Dan as this strong, independent guy who teetered on the verge of being more like a father figure to Cynthia than a lover, now he's this sappy, lonely, desperate guy who can't get a girl. His character is flawed in so many ways to me. I immediately couldn't stand him when he yelled at Cynthia for missing their date, it wasn't that he yelled at her, it was the tone I could imagine. He acted like her father, not a concerned lover. Anyone else have an opinion on the guy?
I agree with you. He comes off as a loner masquerading as Cynthia's lover. His attitude and tone put me off and that never changed during the course of the book.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Other than when Dan yelled at Cynthia, I kind of liked him. He was solid and steady, or at least appeared to be, until it looked like he stalked Cynthia. That behavior felt all wrong for Dan's character, to the point I'm still expecting some grand reveal in some future installment that Sky put the tracker on Cynthia's car and made it look like Dan... Maybe it's because his name is in the title, but I really expected Dan and Cynthia to end up together.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

mblmn_mortician wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 20:01 I think there are many men who don't know what they've got, and then when it's gone, they can't hold themselves accountable for any responsibility. It was sad watching him go to the lengths he went to because he thought what they had was right, and that he wanted it back so badly. His grip on the reality of their relationship was quite off, and for her to accept him as a dear friend was possibly quite dangerous (though I don't think she was capable of seeing that).
I agree with you on this one. Also, his character is very underdeveloped for me he was just an afterthought for the author a means to an end in this story. And you are on point with Cynthia not being able to comprehend the danger of their friendship but then again that just is something that I would expect of her character at least she is consistent.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
s_writing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-writing.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by s_writing »

I thought Dan's character was creepy. He was always popping up. He turned out to be a stalker
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Dan just doesn't cut the mustard. Not his character. Not his conversation. Not his showing up when Cynthia is sick. Not bugging her car. I think the story would have worked better without Dan.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Dan kind of seemed like an after thought to me. And it was weird that he turned out to be the villain. Their whole relationship was like a sappy drama-filled high school fling, not a relationship between mature adults.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”