What changes you would make in the book, if you were the author?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: What changes you would make in the book, if you were the author?

Post by Letora »

maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 12:56 I agree with both of your points, but I would add better editing as well. I found a lot of errors in the book. Also, I would change Sky’s character so that he was a bit more believable and change the instant love aspect of his and Cynthia’s relationship.
I agree 100% with this. The instant attraction between two strangers isn't very believable. And Sky was an odd duck, to say the least. He seemed to hover between madly in love and possessive.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

I feel like the order of development for certain parts of the conflict was a little out of whack, from focusing on the cheating right off the bat to there not being much conflict at all with the cyber war until the end. It may be because I'm a fan of the traditional story arch, but it seemed like some of the "conflict" portions just fell flat or were missed completely.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Jo689 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:17 I was actually thinking about this:

I thought the book was alright, unlike most. However, even though I didn't think it was bad, there were a lot of things I would have changed in the book, say if I was the author. The main things that I would change in this book is 1) add a backstory, or flashback of the events that happened in the previous books and 2) Make Cynthia a much more smarter character lol.
I agree with you, but besides your corrections I will eliminate the contradictions that exists between characters profile and their personality/normality of things. For examples, Cynthia is one of the people involved the cyber war but yet lack basic knowledge like dangers of unprotected sex and the use of abortifacient.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I would have trimmed the scene with Cynthia and Sky's initial meeting way down and done a "fade to black" on their first sexual encounter rather than that extremely awkward love scene, which was, to be honest, painful to read. Overall, I thought the book was a fun read, but I was unimpressed by the length of their meet-cute, and I found Sky's character controlling and creepy.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I would definitely get rid of the whole day after pregnancy bit! Totally ridiculous. And I would definitely make Cynthia smarter and more of a strong, confident woman. She has this important job in DC and she is portrayed as a not very smart female!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I thought the book was alright, unlike most. However, even though I didn't think it was bad, there were a lot of things I would have changed in the book, say if I was the author. The main things that I would change in this book is 1) add a backstory, or flashback of the events that happened in the previous books and 2) Make Cynthia a much more smarter character lol.
With how impressive Cynthia's job was, you would think she would be smarter in every day life! That would be a great change to the book!
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

B Creech wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 14:56 I would definitely get rid of the whole day after pregnancy bit! Totally ridiculous. And I would definitely make Cynthia smarter and more of a strong, confident woman. She has this important job in DC and she is portrayed as a not very smart female!
I feel like the pregnancy did nothing for the story! If Cynthia hadn't had the miscarriage, then I feel like it would have made more of an impact. But then she would have a reason to stay with Sky, which I wish she wouldn't do either...
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 12:53 Well, I really didn't like the book so where should I start with the changes? I mean this is a big question. Probably would make Cynthia a bit stronger and smarter as a leading character and Sky less of a mr.know it all and creep.
Sky was just awful! The fact that Cynthia ends up with him is so frustrating to me.
Kris5911
Favorite Book: Boundaries
Currently Reading: Follow Me
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kris5911.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kris5911 »

I read the sample and didn't care for the rest of the book. The dialogue was poor, Sky came across as a creep, and I wanted Cynthia to spray mace, or tell him to jerk off. The story felt very fake. The changes would be both Cynthia's and Sky's characters, I would reassess the character relationships and rewrite their verbal exchanges, and I would choose the adventure or action genre. As I didn't read the whole book, that's all I can say for it.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Backstories are essential for good character development, so I have to agree with you on that!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

I agree with you. I'd make the story more about Cynthia and Dan. As for Cynthia, she's just a character. There are people like that in life. LOL.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I would be more realistic about the plot and events in the novel. Real life isn't how the characters project it.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

From what I've read of Cynthia's character, I definitely think there's a lot of room for improvement there. And I would also consider changing the insta-love aspect.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Letora wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 08:23
maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 12:56 I agree with both of your points, but I would add better editing as well. I found a lot of errors in the book. Also, I would change Sky’s character so that he was a bit more believable and change the instant love aspect of his and Cynthia’s relationship.

I agree 100% with this. The instant attraction between two strangers isn't very believable. And Sky was an odd duck, to say the least. He seemed to hover between madly in love and possessive.
I agree!
lauren3cats
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren3cats.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by lauren3cats »

Honestly, the the thing that was most difficult for me to ignore was the contrived conversation at times. At times, especially in the beginning it felt unnatural which took my attention away from what was happening. An editor once told me the best way to check your dialogue is to read it out loud. If it’s not something you’d say to another person out loud you shouldn’t write it that way.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”