Romance vs. Politics

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Re: Romance vs. Politics

Post by Allyseria »

I kind of felt that the romance took away from the cyberwar plot. I wished the romance plot was focussed on a bit less and more was written about the cyberwar.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

As bad as it was, I think I was more intrigued by the romance. I wanted to know who Sky was, and I wanted Cynthia to get caught cheating. Once I found out who Sky was, I threw all interest out the window and focused on finishing the book.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

The cyberwarfare for me! I did not like the characters and did not much like their chemistry! The romance angle seemed a little forced.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

As a person who doesn't really like love triangles all that much, I was much more interested in the cyber war. The romance just felt bland and uninteresting to me.
lauren3cats
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren3cats.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by lauren3cats »

I was much more drawn to the Cyber War theme of this story than the romantic one, which is unusual for me. I am an avid reader of romances, but I could not connect to that storyline in this book. The only thing that saved the whole book for me was how interesting I found their secret war. I think there was potential for the two storylines to intermix well, but the romantic storyline progressed too quickly and was not believable for me.
elizablu
Currently Reading: The Faerie Guardian
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizablu.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

Post by elizablu »

I love the aspect of a love triangle in the middle of a cyber war. If I'm being honest though I love and will always love the love triangle. Something about the aspect of a love triangle entices me. I personally am a Sky fan!
Sandosua
Currently Reading: The Golem and the Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 360
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandosua »

Definitely the love triangle. Even though I'm not so into romance as much as I used to be a few years ago, I am certainly not very tech-savvy and the cyber war approach, although I find interesting to read about, is not what catches my attention the most. I was much more intrigued with the romance and the drama in this case. Overall, it was a book I very much enjoyed reading!
RachelRovere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelrovere.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by RachelRovere »

I was way more interested in the cyber war portion of the story. The love triangle seemed really unrealistic to me and I didn't find any of the characters involved to be particularly likable. Glenn and the nerd squad were fun, I thought their methods were more or less realistic and the cyber war was unlike anything I've read or seen before in books or movies. Without that aspect of the story I would have had a really hard time finishing this book.
Weidnerk33
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Weidnerk33 »

I was more into the cyber war and politics on this one. The romance in this one was a little disappointing.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think unless the story is focused on the romance plot, it's quite difficult to make it really compelling. It reminds me of some Hollywood movies also like to put a romance side plot to make it... more Hollywood I suppose?
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

I'm normally drawn to more character based plots in novels, but these ones just seemed somewhat unbelievable. Then again, humans don't always act the way expected.
Valeria_gr4
Currently Reading: How to live on 24 Hours a Day
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-gr4.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody

Post by Valeria_gr4 »

I think I was very into both! For instance, the cyberwar made me bite my thumbnails while the romance between Cynthia and Dan left me wishing for more. Still, I believe it to be an unusual mix, but thankfully, it worked just fine in this book.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:27 As much as the cyberwarfare aspect irks me, I like it way more than the romance so far. The cheating aspect left a terrible impression on me and then I just could not get into it after that.

Feel very similar. I do like the cyberwarfare part though, as it's something that's relatively new to me so it had this kinda refreshing feel. It could have been more interesting too. I find the cheating-love triangle thing rather tried and overdone, so the romantic part kinda gave off this filler quality.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

The titles markets this book as more of a spy thriller. I imagine most readers that lay their eyes on this book, if not all, are going to be drawn to the cyber war part of this tale. I am no exception.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
HansonThoughts
Currently Reading: The Attuned
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansonthoughts.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by HansonThoughts »

It is a given that cyber warfare, like intergalactic battles, has more pull than a cliché. They give us an escape from our uninteresting lives, to be sure. Hold your fire in the comment section if you think otherwise.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”