What do you think about the characters' naivete re technology and basic science?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Re: What do you think about the characters' naivete re technology and basic science?

Post by Mys_Trea »

I think the book did need some more research done where technology is concerned, yes. Also, an opportunity was missed to make a strong woman out of Cynthia. Humans are generally flawed, but her lack of knowledge in important areas like sexual health was quite curious.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

More than the character's naivety, it showed the author's unwillingness to do basic research and create a steady plot and character profiles. The story moved haphazardly. Sometimes, the characters seemed to have too much knowledge and other times lacked basic knowledge.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I’m so glad someone mentioned this because I thought this was the strangest thing! Having a politician be an independent for example, seemed like widely available knowledge?
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

Nisha Ward wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 16:32 In reading this book, I've found some very weird bits that don't make sense in a modern context. When Sky first meets Cynthia, he assumes that she doesn't know what a smart phone is and then Cynthia doesn't seem to understand basic things like sex leading to pregnancy and what Plan B is and how abortificents work. Furthermore, I've also found this with Tim, who's supposed to be this geeky, nerdy guy into computer science and technology not knowing how to hide IP addresses or how computers can connect wirelessly.

In the context of the book, neither of these things make any sense. What do you guys think? Were there other examples of this?
Honestly the story in this book was something else. So many contradiction and unrealistic event. I would prefer she had another job. For a Detective her character was so underdeveloped.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Cynthia, just how is she head of security but doesn't seem to grasp simple things it sounded so absurd
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I think the author tried to push the story along without paying attention to the character
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Nisha Ward wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 16:32 In reading this book, I've found some very weird bits that don't make sense in a modern context. When Sky first meets Cynthia, he assumes that she doesn't know what a smart phone is and then Cynthia doesn't seem to understand basic things like sex leading to pregnancy and what Plan B is and how abortificents work. Furthermore, I've also found this with Tim, who's supposed to be this geeky, nerdy guy into computer science and technology not knowing how to hide IP addresses or how computers can connect wirelessly.

In the context of the book, neither of these things make any sense. What do you guys think? Were there other examples of this?
You are right. I thought the lack of technological expertise was ironic considering the book's title.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I agree with you. There is a need to edit this book as there were alot of off things.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Very funny indeed, I would say this book wasn't thoroughly edited. Because then we're also a lot more of these contradictions.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Yes I noticed these things and I agree with you, I found it annoying
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

lisalynn wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 07:17 The characters don't know because the author doesn't know. Write what you know, and if you don't know, research it.
I think this is the best explanation to all the flaws contained in this book.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

I just think that many things in this book can lead to arguments. I must say I disagree with many things in this book.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

I also thought it was odd that she was the senator's so-called security chief but didn't think to check her car for tracking devices when she became suspicious of Dan knowing exactly where she was.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

The characters don't know because the author doesn't know. Write what you know, and if you don't know, research it.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Bradley Twesten »

Chlabonte923 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 13:00 One of my big gripes was the Major was supposed to be helping them write code and when the string of code came up on the computer, he says, what's this and it has to be explained to him and he has to be told to push enter. At that point, I wondered if the author had to have a certain amount of words because there was no need to tell us he clicked enter.

And Cynthia, just how is she head of security but doesn't seem to grasp simple things? I shook my head a lot reading this book
I found all of the technology and technical aspects of the book to be completely unbelievable. First, why are Cynthia and Glenn, as Private Investigators, waging a private war on terrorists? How is that Glenn has a sophisticated computer war room that is seemingly better than what the FBI, CIA, NSA, or Homeland has? And the amazing thing is that it can be run more effectively by two college students than what all those departments can accomplish. Another plot hole that really upset me was the Major telling Cynthia that "Sky" is his real name, but he goes by an alias within the airforce of "E.J. Scylar". Regrettably, I have never served, but I would think any branch of the armed services would have you using your real name in service and you can give yourself whatever nickname you want outside.

And I'll just say it here and be done...why was Sky mansplaining how Plan B, pregnancy tests, and RU-486 work to Cynthia and she really gives no response. Then Cynthia seems completely oblivious to a missed period, miscarriages, and how all that works. For a head of security, she seems pretty dim.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”