What do you think about the characters' naivete re technology and basic science?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Andrew Darlington
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Re: What do you think about the characters' naivete re technology and basic science?

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Honestly, I very much agree with you. These and more were some of the reasons I began questioning some aspect of this book. I was occasionally put off for this same reason.
Bradley Twesten
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Bradley Twesten »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:21
Nisha Ward wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 16:32 In reading this book, I've found some very weird bits that don't make sense in a modern context. When Sky first meets Cynthia, he assumes that she doesn't know what a smart phone is and then Cynthia doesn't seem to understand basic things like sex leading to pregnancy and what Plan B is and how abortificents work. Furthermore, I've also found this with Tim, who's supposed to be this geeky, nerdy guy into computer science and technology not knowing how to hide IP addresses or how computers can connect wirelessly.

In the context of the book, neither of these things make any sense. What do you guys think? Were there other examples of this?
I agree with you about Cynthia's lack of common sense. Unless she has been living under a rock for her whole life, how can she forget that unprotected sex causes pregnancy? Even scarier, STDs! The fact that she had no idea what Plan B was confused me. Why was her character made to be so clueless?
I'm in full agreement. The beginning of the book paints Cynthia as such a clueless character. Then it sort of introduces Dan who has no exciting plot line. How did he get into the book title?

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”