Sky vs. Dan

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Re: Sky vs. Dan

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

Ehhem... I thought just exactly this way. To me Sky was more dangerous around Cynthia than Dan. He knew so much about Cynthia on the first day than any normal stranger. The author intentional made Dan who seemed more like a gentleman the bad guy towards the end of this book. I so much disliked Sky.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

At first I started the story in thought of Dan being the main character but somehow in half way he was being made a stalker. Also, from the start I had so many doubts on Sky and expected him to be a villain but he turned out to be someone who only focused on Cynthia. It really is unexpected for me. I thought that it would be nice if she ended alone or just a detailed insight into the relationship between Sky and Cynthia. But overall both were creepy, they just took initiative in everything without her opinion like contacting and following her.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I think Cynthia did not love Dan well enough because of how easily she fell for Sky, knowing that she was in a relationship with him. Though Dan had a poor reaction towards Cynthia after calling her for so long without her answering, he won't have let his anger control him. On the other end, Sky looked more trickish from the start, but later on, I noticed he was a man with compassion and also that he was religious, judging by how he confessed to the priest after his affair with Cynthia. I also think Sky showed more love to Cynthia than Dan.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

Why I like Sky for his unpredictability. He's not an ideal man. Dan isn't really the best either.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Sky was too manipulative while Dan was too possessive.
Fentymak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fentymak.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Fentymak »

I didn't like either of them. Dan was too soft and Sky was too creepy. They both didn't deserve Cynthia.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

I agree that Dan is the lesser of the two evils. It's hard to say definitively because there's just too much drama involved.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Hugo_W wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 10:52 I thought it might be an interesting thing to discuss whether people were more creeped out by Dan's behavior - such as bugging Cynthia's car and falsely reporting Sky to the police - or Sky's behavior - inviting a strange woman to his apartment, the unprotected sex, the letters.
Personally, I thought Sky was more of a villain than Dan. he had more potential to go south, and seemed unstable and brash in Cynthia's company. i wanted him to get away from her, and thought that no woman would ever react in the ways that she did.

What do you guys think? also, do you think that the author's depiction of Cynthia's reactions creates a worrisome picture of how women should react to advances? and do you agree with the hypothesis that Dan fed Cynthia the abortion pill?

I think they might be the most interesting characters to analyze.
I thought I was the only one who felt this about Sky. Sky felt like a more dangerous person than Dan. I felt the author was trying to give us a twist in the story by making Dan look like the villain but that did not turn out so well. Cynthia's character was very unstable and poorly developed. I very much agree with you on this no woman would react the way she did to a total stranger.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”