Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Post by dorebri2020 »

I deeply admire how he was able to overcome every challenge thrown at him, but particularly his perseverance in continually improving his education in the face of insults and discrimination. Most of all, I admire his courage and will to share this story with others who may be inspired by his words. It takes a large amount of courage to share one's entire life story, and I am deeply impressed by his doing so.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

dorebri2020 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 14:17 I deeply admire how he was able to overcome every challenge thrown at him, but particularly his perseverance in continually improving his education in the face of insults and discrimination. Most of all, I admire his courage and will to share this story with others who may be inspired by his words. It takes a large amount of courage to share one's entire life story, and I am deeply impressed by his doing so.
His courage to share not only the goodm but also the "dark and dank" bad moments is quite courageous. Facing all the challenges thrown at him head on was inspiring, too. He went from being looked upon ad a peasant in Guiana to racial discrimination in other parts of the world. That did not change who he was, but only showed how his character persevered the challenges.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Bluebird03 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 13:40 I admire anyone who is able to overcome adversity and succeed in life. And the author seems to have experienced adversity in every phase of his life (childhood, school, discrimination due to his color, etc) and still he did not let that stop him. Very inspiring!
He had also been discriminated against as a child in his home. His cousin Joan was "brown skinned" and that stipulated she was privileged. Due to this he was the one to do most of the chores and leg work, and he did all this work while taking care of his sister,....and making sure he was still the best student not only in his school but in the entire country. If that is not inspiring, then what is.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I am only about page 10 or so and I am already inspired by the author! I have a tremendous respect for hard workers and those who strive to make not only their own lives better, but those around him.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

B Creech wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:02 I would say very inspiring! Most people would have gotten discouraged over the discrimination the author faced but he never gave up. Just goes to show with determination and the will to succeed anyone can accomplish anything they want.
This is so true!
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

His tenacity and fighter spirit. He also rose above the racism and discrimination that existed in the environment around him. He is a true example that one can make it regardless of their background.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

MatereF wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 14:41 His tenacity and fighter spirit. He also rose above the racism and discrimination that existed in the environment around him. He is a true example that one can make it regardless of their background.
He came from severe poverty and a childhood that consisted of taking care of his sister, and working on chores- In that span of time he had to complete his school assignments and read ahead to get an edge. Inspiring is an understatement.
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

I feel like both his courage and his flexibility in the face of stacked odds were equally admirable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Renu G wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:00
B Creech wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:02 I would say very inspiring! Most people would have gotten discouraged over the discrimination the author faced but he never gave up. Just goes to show with determination and the will to succeed anyone can accomplish anything they want.
This is so true!
He faced so many challenges and there were so many chances where he would have been more than justified giving up. That he kept giving his all, challenge after challenge speaks to his resilience and determination.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The author's work wasn't just inspiring. It was awe-inducing with the amount he was able to succeed and still maintain that goal of enhancing all human life, not just his own.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 00:13
Bluebird03 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 13:40 I admire anyone who is able to overcome adversity and succeed in life. And the author seems to have experienced adversity in every phase of his life (childhood, school, discrimination due to his color, etc) and still he did not let that stop him. Very inspiring!
He had also been discriminated against as a child in his home. His cousin Joan was "brown skinned" and that stipulated she was privileged. Due to this he was the one to do most of the chores and leg work, and he did all this work while taking care of his sister,....and making sure he was still the best student not only in his school but in the entire country. If that is not inspiring, then what is.
Yup. Colourism is a huge problem in the Caribbean, so having to deal with that in his own home and still come out on top and as good as he seems to be is something that should be learnt from.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 21:25
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 00:13
Yup. Colourism is a huge problem in the Caribbean, so having to deal with that in his own home and still come out on top and as good as he seems to be is something that should be learnt from.
It was very intructive on the issues faced all over the world, even within racial groups. Issues such as coloring made the author's journey all the more inspiring.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:33
It is indeed an undeniable fact that anyone who is determined and has the will to succeed will always achieve their goal. This is what the author clearly sends out.
Many who faced the knd of conditions and hard life the author lived through would have definitely given up long ago. That he persevered through sll that he did and still excelled in his persuits, it quite inspiring.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

MatereF wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 14:41 His tenacity and fighter spirit. He also rose above the racism and discrimination that existed in the environment around him. He is a true example that one can make it regardless of their background.
He lived in a family where colorism mattered and in a country where colonialism had put the local government to rest. Having seen all this and choosing to excel in such a world despitr the bias that would be directed his way was truly inspiring.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

The perseverance and determination of the writer is very inspiring. It's difficult to live in a third world country, life will never be easy if you want an honest and good living. I hope there would be more people like him.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”