Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Post by aacodreanu »

BrittaniDJ wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:17 I loved the way he looked at the world. He was neither naiive nor bitter. He took the punches with the pleasantries. He asked hard questions and also enjoyed the beautiful in the little pleasures of life. He understood the important things of cultural harmony, like, being polite, being helpful, being strong, being rational, being kind. I would recommend this book. I don't believe the world is beyond needing to read everything they can get their hands on about different cultures and how to live in harmony with one another. And what it feels like when we do not.
This is something that we, the people belonging to the mainstream, will never experience. So, in a way, we do not have such a wealth of character, we do not have this ability to feel discriminated against and yet keep on pursuing our aim, forgiving the oppressors and finding peace in our souls. How wrong can people be, people who think about themselves that they are good while thinking races that are not theirs are lesser and deserving a worse treatment?
Trothermel12
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trothermel12.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Trothermel12 »

My overall opinion of the book is that it is a wonderful narration of the author's life and how times are, unfortunately, not that different. Folks are still having to prove themselves because of race and sex. I have read the book twice and really love it.
Thank you Mr. Douglass for your perspective on life and how you chose to persevere through it and succeed.
BreathofFreshAriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breathoffreshariel.html
Latest Review: The Survival of the Richest by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by BreathofFreshAriel »

I read his narrative when I was in school, and it made a real impression on me. I didn't know he had any other books, but I should have guessed!
"We don't see things how they are, we see them as we are."
- Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmudic tractate Berakhot (55b.)
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

This book really inspired me as it breathed a feeling of hope in me. The author did well by using his life experiences as a case study. I therefore rate it four out of four stars.
KarFulMar
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KarFulMar »

It’s always enlightening to emerge ourselves in a storyline that allows us to step in and walk a proverbial mile in someone else’s shoes. And this story sounds like it will enable us to do just that.
However, right now it seems as this type of story is becoming too common place. And as inspiring as it may be, I think I will have to pass on this one.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

I was impressed much by the meticulous descriptions and precise sequences maintained in this memoir. Moreover it is almost like a help book for facing the challenges and mitigating them in one's life irrespective of the odds and hardships. I give it four out of four stars.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

This book is very inspiring and i would love to recommend it to everyone, i rated this book 4 out of 4 stars
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

This book is very inspiring and i would love to recommend it to everyone, i rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I loved the story of the book, and the technical parts I struggled to get through and it made me read the book slowly. The author is a very inspiring individual who gained a lot of respect from different types of people. I would definitely recommend this book to other people.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

Honestly this is a perfect score book that i can recommend to anyone. I am deeply inspired by how the author shared his racial and ethnic discrimination, and triumph . I would rate this book 4 out of 4.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I think this book is capable of making folks that have prejudiced views against peoples of other races rethink their biases. Its was a great read for me. I recommend it to all.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”