Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the July 2019 Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

It can be very taxing for a student experiencing racial discrimination in an educational institution. The author faced it bravely. I hope his memoir will conscientize readers. I strongly recommend it!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

gali wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 23:18 This is a discussion topic for the July 2019 Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
I loved reading this book and loved the inspiring stories from the author's life and experiences. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and would definitely recommend this book to all readers. It would be a shame if people didn’t get to read the inspiring stories from the author's own perspective.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

It can and is, taxing for anyone who encounters racial discrimination anywhere in the world. This book is a view into that and perhaps it is food for thought for people who are racist so that they open their eyes to the humanity of other human beings. I hope that this book is widely read and people are educated about its essence.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 09:27
gali wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 23:18 This is a discussion topic for the July 2019 Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas.

I loved reading this book and loved the inspiring stories from the author's life and experiences. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and would definitely recommend this book to all readers. It would be a shame if people didn’t get to read the inspiring stories from the author's own perspective.
It's a perfect-score book for me. Racial and ethnic discrimination are thorny to tackle and address, but the author was able to do just that with such a commendable honesty and wit.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Renu G wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 09:13 It can be very taxing for a student experiencing racial discrimination in an educational institution. The author faced it bravely. I hope his memoir will conscientize readers. I strongly recommend it!
I agree! He endured a substantial amount of racism and discrimination and he was able to persevere. He found a way through the obstacles in front of him and was able to reach all of his goals. This book is incredibly inspiring.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

I loved the way he looked at the world. He was neither naiive nor bitter. He took the punches with the pleasantries. He asked hard questions and also enjoyed the beautiful in the little pleasures of life. He understood the important things of cultural harmony, like, being polite, being helpful, being strong, being rational, being kind. I would recommend this book. I don't believe the world is beyond needing to read everything they can get their hands on about different cultures and how to live in harmony with one another. And what it feels like when we do not.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

As an African, him having to struggle to make something of himself is something I can relate to. His perseverance and subsequent success is very inspirational to me.I will recommend it to anyone.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have not read the book but one thing that I deeply appreciate is that the author wrote the book not just to narrate his experiences but to instill hope in others. This alone will make me read the book and also recommend it to others.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

While I like everyone's enthusiasm for this novel, I am personally sensitive to racial discrimination. Sounds like an interesting story. I don't like it as much but it seems others do.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

I enjoyed how he made the issues and discrimination he faced an inspiration for how to keep going, and how he rolled with the highs and lows of all he was facing. The different scenes each lent an air of increasing credibility to his development and was an entertaining and thoughtful read.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

The gloomier and more difficult the hardships and obstacles are, the better a success story is, the reader being taken on a vicarious emotional ride that ends well.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

As of now, I am about 20% done with "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" and I have run across several differences examples of grammar (for lack of a better term) that I believe to be cultural. For example, Douglas hyphenates words that shouldn't be hyphenated (ex. infin-itesimal on pg 62) and capitalizes some nouns (such Pregnancy on pg 64). I know the capitalizing of nouns is found in German grammar, but i have never seen an author use hyphens in the same way.

At first I found this a little confusing, but I was able to quickly re-calibrate myself... Which brings to me wonder if other have had the same issue? I do enjoy the unique way Douglas writes, and I wonder if there are other books that have these little culture grammar bombs? And how else does one's culture effect how one writes?.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

The book is truly inspiring. And I would definitely want to recommend it. What I liked most is that the author's way of storytelling is entertaining. His experiences while young really are impactful. I rate this 4 out of 4!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

I have not yet read the book but I have a feeling I will enjoy reading it from the way people discuss it. Being an African myself I would love to see the inspiration drawn from it.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”