Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The author showed resilience and hard work to be ranked the best student in Guiana and acquire scholarships. He also showed bravery in speaking out against discrimination targeted at him and others.
What quality or action of the author did you find inspiring?
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I admired his ability to persevere throughout his education when the odds were stacked against him. He could have been discouraged by the discrimination towards him by some of the school faculty, but he chose to rise above and keep going!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

His tenacity, perseverance, and goal-oriented mindset are quite impressive.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I thought the resilience he displayed was certainly inspirational.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I admire the author's strength of character in bearing the insults gracefully and writing about it courageously.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

I admired his ability to persevere even before his education in the U.S. He had many family issues to contend with from a young age, with his father leaving and then his aunt being mean; having to take care of his younger sister and putting up with his emotionally difficult mother who beat him. His strong will, his talent for asking hard questions of life, and then rationalizing through the answers to those questions were inspiring from the beginning.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 10:50 I admired his ability to persevere throughout his education when the odds were stacked against him. He could have been discouraged by the discrimination towards him by some of the school faculty, but he chose to rise above and keep going!
Yes, I agree. At one point they had refused to recognize him ad the best student for some years, but he did not let that bother him and instead kept working to be the best.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 11:35 His tenacity, perseverance, and goal-oriented mindset are quite impressive.
Even when he failed to get a scholarship, he worked harder to regain the top spot. He persevered through alot growing up, but ultimately that made him better, more resilient and tenacious.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Renu G wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 15:39 I admire the author's strength of character in bearing the insults gracefully and writing about it courageously.
I think his upbringing might have played a key role in the extent and degree of tolerance he exhibited.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

BrittaniDJ wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:13 I admired his ability to persevere even before his education in the U.S. He had many family issues to contend with from a young age, with his father leaving and then his aunt being mean; having to take care of his younger sister and putting up with his emotionally difficult mother who beat him. His strong will, his talent for asking hard questions of life, and then rationalizing through the answers to those questions were inspiring from the beginning.
Do not forget that even in his family, his "brown-skinned" cousin Joan was considered privileged and he had to do most of the leg work. I did not appreciate the way his aunt treated him, causing him to be punished for the lies she told of him. That he never complained for however long that had happened is more than inspiring. To take care of his Sister and juggle the chores and schooling made him a superhero in my book.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

He is certainly an inspiring person. His courage to reach for success despite his poor family background and the hardships he faced daily as a child is inspiring and humbling at the same time.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I would say very inspiring! Most people would have gotten discouraged over the discrimination the author faced but he never gave up. Just goes to show with determination and the will to succeed anyone can accomplish anything they want.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 10:50 I admired his ability to persevere throughout his education when the odds were stacked against him. He could have been discouraged by the discrimination towards him by some of the school faculty, but he chose to rise above and keep going!
I think it is true that at the end of the day his tenacity and fortitude during his education will stand out for many. It is true that many people usually migrate to other countries for studies and I believe this is an inspiration for them.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

B Creech wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:02 I would say very inspiring! Most people would have gotten discouraged over the discrimination the author faced but he never gave up. Just goes to show with determination and the will to succeed anyone can accomplish anything they want.
It is indeed an undeniable fact that anyone who is determined and has the will to succeed will always achieve their goal. This is what the author clearly sends out.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I admire anyone who is able to overcome adversity and succeed in life. And the author seems to have experienced adversity in every phase of his life (childhood, school, discrimination due to his color, etc) and still he did not let that stop him. Very inspiring!

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”