The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Re: The Value of Education

Post by Kristin Ransome »

The author definitely seems to value education highly, and rightly so if it was something he had to work hard for. However, the author seemed to value higher grades specifically instead of knowledge itself.
chloelogan3
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by chloelogan3 »

I definitely think that an authors focus on the value of education stems from their own individual beliefs. I like the dichotomy of having an author preach the importance of education - of course we all agree with him as reading is one of the most valuable forms of strengthening intelligence and working memory :D
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Education is definitely important, more so when it opens the mind and stretches beyond the scope of books and exams and fruitfully equips the learner to face life. Therefore, I believe that the author's life and circumstances that enabled him to succeed at the things he did later on in life were more of an educational experience than the scholarly achievements themselves.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Education is definitely an important asset, especially when the scope of learning extends beyond the books and the exams and equips the learner for the odds of life. It is evident that the author's resilience and courage come from the life lessons he learned early in his life. These seem to have enabled, even fuelled his scholarly achievements.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
He certainly used his native intelligence to achieve great things. He did overcome obstacles. Some of us do overcome obstacles but cannot achieve the marvelous things he did just because we are not smart enough.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
Obviously, he worked very hard to get his education and he used it well. Unfortunately, some of us don't have the intelligence he was born with.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I think the author emphasized on education to show how important it is to a person. The author was trying to inspire other people.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Firefawkes wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 12:54 The author definitely seems to value education highly, and rightly so if it was something he had to work hard for. However, the author seemed to value higher grades specifically instead of knowledge itself.
I disagree a bit. While the grades were important, they were only so important in that he needed higher grades to get the scholarships and grants he did. I think it's more the use of the knowledge that was important than the knowledge itself.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Quite often we're preached to about the importance of education and its betterment of our lives. So many people uphold degrees and educational experience, and while there is a lot of good that having that educational experience and practicing different academic methods and learning about the world around us, simply valuing education and pursuing it as a social status isn't something I'd personally condone. Learning in order to learn is great, and wanting to better understand whatever subjects interest you is admirable, and of course obtaining degrees to pursue preferred careers or higher level positions is also respectable. In situations where one feels more pressure to fit in or work to be seen as someone who is competent or even just equal, education is pursured more doggedly. More often than not, however, I do think that people are placing the wrong sort of importance and pressure on those who've yet to actually attend higher education.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

Education is certainly highly valued. It provides an opportunity to excel and to be recognized by others. It also provides a pathway to a higher income and for many persons from poorer countries, a better standard of living than they would otherwise obtain.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

Renu G wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:03 I do feel that the author treasured the opportunity to study further. Education uplifts not only the individual but the entire community.
I think it's interesting to think about the bigger meaning behind this book. By arguing that education upliftss the community, and not just the individual, it shows that that the author may have had a higher meaning associated with his education theme.
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

Yes, I think there is a big focus on education and that the author has been right in giving it so much prominence. Education is the best way to achieve important things, even though at times people do not have all the recognition they deserve.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Naturally when you are smart, you're easily distinguishable from others. And in a society where education is highly valued - it is easy to see why he focused so much on his academic achievements.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

The author feels proud of his achievement in Education and he feels obliged to inspire someone who may feel that education does not matter. By his aunt showing him off, he proves that people will want to associate themselves with bright kids.
Wanja Kenya
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

I think it is normal to want to set yourself apart, especially when your environment is something you want to get away from. And education is THE most important thing if you want to progress, to improve yourself. Nothing good comes from ignorance.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”