The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: The Value of Education

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I think the author had a deep emphasis on education and his academic performance. He wanted to excel in his forte and always feel worthy and proud of himself.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I think the author realised from young age that only education will sethim free from hardship. To him, and I too think that education is vital.
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

The tried to make us understand the value of education. He focused on his education distinctions to inspire us to take education very serious. I don't think the author wanted to separate himself from others in the story by placing emphasis on his laureate.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

On the latter question, I think the author was proud of his academic achievements and wanted to share his achievements with the readers as a living proof.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Erin
Currently Reading: Death Has a Thousand Doors
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin.html
Latest Review: Not 4 $ale by M.R. Biggs

Post by Erin »

Yes, there was a big focus on education. Education was key to what the author was able to accomplish in his life. I think he wanted to demonstrate that no matter where you start in life, you can achieve greatness with determination and the right education.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I don't think the author was trying to set himself apart. He wanted others to understand the many values of education. Not only do you learn things that can help you to advance in life, but you also prove your intelligence and acquire credentials (degrees, certificates, etc.) that validate your abilities.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

The question ends up being a bit more, whether or not it was intentional. It is obvious that this was something that is treasured and valued, and therefore whether it is intentional or not, it will come out in his writing.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
I don't think the author had that in mind. I think his point is that after all he went through, he still got educated and came out better, a success. There are many people who went through less than he did, but they didn't make it. Some may have committed suicide. I'm just happy for Dr. Douglas. Indeed, there is no excuse for anyone to fail.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Yes, the focus on education was a huge one in order to stimulate hardwork and dedication in the readers to strive for excellence.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

This author really highlighted how important an education is in society now days.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by kali09 »

Yes, I do think there was a focus on education, but I think that focus is warranted. The author clearly - and rightly - values a good education and the strength and empowerment it affords. I do not think the author wanted to set himself apart from other people. I think he merely wished to emphasize that an education opens doors and sets you up for success.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I think Plato's saying that "Ignorance is the root and stem of all evil" still holds true today. I think the author definitely wanted to set himself apart from those in his life who had not received proper education. I think he wanted to see if it would improve his situation.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

The focus on education is more of a culture thing, in my opinion. In the Caribbean, 'bright boy' or sometimes even 'sparks' is something you hear a lot. Children aren't satisfied with being placed third, which is an achievement in and of itself, as the importance of education is something that's drilled into us from an early age. We often hear that we won't make it anywhere in life without a sound education, and even further, being the best. It's not necessarily Frank boasting about his accomplishments (he kinda is, though), it's his pride at doing something, that, in our way of thinking, is the pinnacle of human success.
Sana Rabbani
Currently Reading: Geraldine
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-rabbani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sana Rabbani »

Yes, for sure, there was a huge focus on education throughout. The good thing is that it makes sense. The Author seemed to place himself prior to others regarding his educational achievements and in my opinion, he deserved that.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Whether or not the author wanted to set himself apart, I think he’s right to place so much importance on education. After all, an education can open minds and doors in life-altering ways!

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”