The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

The Value of Education

Post by Kristy Khem »

The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
The book was definitely focused on education and I think the author really wanted readers to see the importance of being educated. He worked hard to achieve success and maybe he wanted to toot his own horn a little bit, but I think it is warranted as he had many obstacles to overcome.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I do feel that the author treasured the opportunity to study further. Education uplifts not only the individual but the entire community.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

That's very true, education opens up our minds and changes the way we see things.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

There was definitely an emphasis on education. I think the author focused on his academic achievements to inspire others more than to set himself apart. Knowing how hard it is to overcome obstacles in life I think he wanted others to see that regardless of those obstacles if you find something you are good at, and really apply yourself to doing it to the best of your ability, you can overcome anything. He realized the importance of education and wanted others to see it too.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
WaryReader
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WaryReader »

Definitely! Education is a powerful tool. Sooner or later, if you're an intelligent person, people will have to respect you at least a little bit, despite their own prejudices. :techie-studyingbrown:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I've only read the Amazon sample, but it was obvious just from that how much he valued education.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think there was a definite focus on education. The author seemed to want to show readers that dedication toward education (or anything else) can open many doors to opportunity and success.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

The book definitely seemed to portray education as being a key stepping stone to achieving more and doing more, including inspiring others.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

One who is born with privilege seldom sees its true worth. The author, on the other hand, was born without it so he valued it more than anyone else. I think the focus on education reflects how the author values and loves it at the same time. It is inspiring that others who don't ahve the same privilege will strive more to achieve their own dreams as well.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Renu G wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:03 Education uplifts not only the individual but the entire community.
Ah, I like this quote since it rings true, especially in the research and scientific community. :techie-studyinggray:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

I got the impression from reading the sample of this book, that education was important as an opportunity provider - gateway to a broader world. I also felt as though 'medals' - grades, social status, self-motivation, were a higher focus than what the good doctor learned or how he was taught in school. What he learned came out more in his day to day interactions with the world, rather than in the classroom. I realize this man grew up in a different country and in a different time period of education, but I do have higher hopes for education than simply grades achievement.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I tend to think that a person can identify his/her strength early in life and pursue it wholeheartedly. The author knew education was his greatest strength and he geared all his efforts towards it in order to succeed.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

Yes, I do think there is a big focus on education and those who excel in it. This ultimately led the author to be at his best and as it luckily turned out, his best was more than enough to get him recognition and distinction.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

I think the author is just trying to show a culture of his background and how education is a big deal. I can totally relate as where I come from you are counted as an important person depending on how learned you are.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”