Childhood experiences

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Childhood experiences

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 07:44 I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
Sure. The twists and turns in his early life greatly defined the kind of person that he became later.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

The experiences the author has experienced in childhood play a large part in shaping him and his later life and the decisions he makes.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Our formative years are just that - formative. All our desires and motivations stem from at least one incident from our childhood. I think he hardened his outer shell from the constant torrent of abuse from early on, especially because he received it from his relatives. That's what made him able to stand up in front of people who doubted him because of his race or any other factor. I don't think it would have been impossible without his abuse but it did hone something in him.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him. The experiences of childhood have a long lasting and a deep impact on an individual.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I certainly understand your view and in some way I do agree, the circumstances will always effect how we grow up and in turn who we grow to be. However, the idea that that our circumstances alone is what lead us to our success or our failures I find sort of romantic - like the idea of destiny. His upbringing didn't make him the man that he is, he could have very easily turned into a darker version then we read in the book. In the end its his own actions that make him, him. But, that is just a thought.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

I was much affected by the stumbling of his cycle and losing the provisions in the process and then getting harsh punishment which is too much at that tender age.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 07:44 I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
Good point.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”