Childhood experiences

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Childhood experiences

Post by Leah39 »

Nerea wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:28
Leah39 wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 13:51 I couldn't even imagine the hardships of growing up in true poverty, but I also think that growing up in the type of environment that the author did gave him a strong sense of self-reliance, resilience, and the creativity to work around problems that he may not have been able to do if he didn't have the upbringing that he did. He didn't have anything to fall back on, and had to rely on his brain to solve issues.

Too often, when we can just buy things or get help from others, it can be difficult to figure out solutions on our own. I feel that his childhood experiences definitely helped influence who he was and further his successes in his life.
Correct. His childhood experience really toughened him up and created in him the ability to make weighty decisions.
Absolutely! For some, adversity in childhood creates obstacles they cannot overcome in life. For others, it creates an ability to develop immensely creative solutions and a persistent drive to succeed no matter what. I find that fascinating.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I agree that the incidents helped him to shape his life better in the future. But I cannot help but wonder, it might have impacted negatively also, him going on the wrong path, like an attempt to suicide. Only the author's aim to achieve something positive in his life kept him in the right direction.
Ddennis88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddennis88.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ddennis88 »

I believe that our childhood experiences always play a part in shaping our adult lives. Sometimes, we don't even realize it. How we react to those experiences throughout our lives is what decides if they contribute to our successes or to our failures. So, yes, I do believe his experiences contributed to his success. As for his achievements being different if these experiences were not there, it's hard to say. Maybe something could have happened to someone he knew, propelling him to the same results. We become who we are based on all the things that surround us, not just the things that happen to us.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

Ddennis88 wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 09:23 I believe that our childhood experiences always play a part in shaping our adult lives. Sometimes, we don't even realize it. How we react to those experiences throughout our lives is what decides if they contribute to our successes or to our failures. So, yes, I do believe his experiences contributed to his success. As for his achievements being different if these experiences were not there, it's hard to say. Maybe something could have happened to someone he knew, propelling him to the same results. We become who we are based on all the things that surround us, not just the things that happen to us.
Maybe it's a combination of the things that surround us and the things that happen to us. He also seemed to have an innate desire to succeed. The author pushed himself to excel in everything he did, which is an admirable trait. While I only read a sample of the book, I wonder if his siblings also had similar drives for success. Either way, he is a remarkable man, and his achievements are incredible especially because of his humble beginnings.
KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KojoGH »

Shilpa Paul wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 21:24 The experiences of childhood have a long lasting and a deep impact on an individual. But it also depends on the choices one makes that makes him who he is. Experiences just made him strong and determined to face difficulties in life head on.
I totally agree with you dear, our childhood experience have a lasting effect on us. Sometimes it also becomes so difficult to make choices that would transform you. But yes our choices can actually change our beginning and for the better. Thank you!
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I'm a strong believer in the idea that it isn't our trauma that makes us powerful, it's that we've always been powerful in spite of trauma. While I think his experiences shaped him and his choices, I think he was still capable of the same accomplishments. That being said, it'd be naive to say these experiences didn't have some effect on his life decisions, as they absolutely did. Our past shapes our present.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I can't say whether or not he would've been successful without the traumatic experiences. However, I believe those experiences gave him greater motivation to achieve the greatness that he did. It made him want to become more of a person than the person he was treated like as a child.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

briellejee wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 20:59 As I've read along, the parts that struck me the most was the author's childhood experiences, especially learning about his true father, his mother being harsh on him because of his Auntie, his Auntie giving him a hard time. Do you think these childhood experiences contributed somehow to his success later on in his life? Do you think if they didn't happen he would still be able to achieve what he had achieved later on? One instance for me is that if he didn't undergo that moment where he stood up against his Auntie, he wouldn't have been able to survive med school. What are other instances you can think of?
Well, like they say, "Tough times don't last, but tough people do." In my opinion, it wasn't just those hard times that shaped him, it was his determination and positive attitude that changed him. Some other persons may experience less than these and they'd turn out bad.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I believe childhood experiences play a pivotal role in the kind of person we turn out to be in life. I think the case is applicable to the author because if he hadn't stood up to his aunt, he may not have had the courage he later needed to deal with discrimination in the different scenarios in which they reared their ugly heads up.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

The moments of harsh critiques from his family really molded him to becoming who he is today. It pushed him towards independence as well.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

I like to think that everyone of us arrives at adulthood with a backpack of childhood. It's up to us really to decide what stays in and what can be taken out, admired, or pursued. Dr. Douglas is no different here. It's a plethora of defining moments that shape our being, and both success and defeat are necessary to live a balanced life.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I believe our childhood experiences shape us. I don't think he would be unable to attain his successes without these experiences, it just stands to reason that his will and determination to be better stemmed from how he was treated in the past. They say our demons drive us, and I believe this is a perfect case of that.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

All of this contributed to his future. However, you can never know in what way. Maybe he would've never become so successful without his childhood experiences, but maybe he would.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I believe it really depends on the individual. I've seen situations where those raised in difficult or terrible situations continue on to create their own difficult or terrible situations, but have also seen individuals born into the same situations rise above and completely change. In this story though, I would agree that the hardship and environment pushed the character to rise above.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

It is true that childhood experiences can shape someone's life and in this case, it seems the author was trying to prove himself using his past. On the other hand, he seemed as a hard worker and so determined.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”