Childhood experiences

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Childhood experiences

Post by briellejee »

As I've read along, the parts that struck me the most was the author's childhood experiences, especially learning about his true father, his mother being harsh on him because of his Auntie, his Auntie giving him a hard time. Do you think these childhood experiences contributed somehow to his success later on in his life? Do you think if they didn't happen he would still be able to achieve what he had achieved later on? One instance for me is that if he didn't undergo that moment where he stood up against his Auntie, he wouldn't have been able to survive med school. What are other instances you can think of?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 07:44 I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
Oh that's a good one! His experiences really shaped him and his attitude and character towards others. I do agree that those opportunities with Dr. Axelrod seemed promising, but I think it turned out fine on the author's part. :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

briellejee wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 20:59 As I've read along, the parts that struck me the most was the author's childhood experiences, especially learning about his true father, his mother being harsh on him because of his Auntie, his Auntie giving him a hard time. Do you think these childhood experiences contributed somehow to his success later on in his life? Do you think if they didn't happen he would still be able to achieve what he had achieved later on? One instance for me is that if he didn't undergo that moment where he stood up against his Auntie, he wouldn't have been able to survive med school. What are other instances you can think of?
I definitely think these moments contributed to the author's success because they drove him to work harder to escape from adversity and the realities of growing up in poverty.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:36
Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 07:44 I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
Oh that's a good one! His experiences really shaped him and his attitude and character towards others. I do agree that those opportunities with Dr. Axelrod seemed promising, but I think it turned out fine on the author's part. :techie-studyingbrown:
Oh it did. Like his mother said, Dr. Douglas is very blessed. Everything seems to turn out well for him in the end.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I wouldn't say, Yes or No. I beleive you use your painful and hard past to propel you to achieve higher goals and prove your oppresors wrong. On the other hand, he could have used his past as an excuse to turn to self pity and keep whinning about his shortcomings. I wouldn't pin his success to his childhood experiences because it could have turned either way. It is purely about his will power and working hard.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Wambui-nj wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 01:06 I wouldn't say, Yes or No. I believe you use your painful and hard past to propel you to achieve higher goals and prove your oppressors wrong. On the other hand, he could have used his past as an excuse to turn to self-pity and keep whining about his shortcomings. I wouldn't pin his success to his childhood experiences because it could have turned either way. It is purely about his will power and working hard.
Oh! your perspective is good! But I do think our past experiences contribute somehow, even his tenacity to prove others wrong came from his past experiences. But I do agree that it could've turned either way. Maybe he has a strong character that made him overcome those possible negative outcomes. I think, with your perspective in mind, it all boils down to his personality. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

briellejee wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 20:59 As I've read along, the parts that struck me the most was the author's childhood experiences, especially learning about his true father, his mother being harsh on him because of his Auntie, his Auntie giving him a hard time. Do you think these childhood experiences contributed somehow to his success later on in his life? Do you think if they didn't happen he would still be able to achieve what he had achieved later on? One instance for me is that if he didn't undergo that moment where he stood up against his Auntie, he wouldn't have been able to survive med school. What are other instances you can think of?
I think of him having to not only take care of his sister, but to also manage the chores, going to the market, finish his school assignments and read ahead.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

Yes, the challenges pushed him to be more than what everybody was seeing in him that is a failure.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 07:33
Wambui-nj wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 01:06 I wouldn't say, Yes or No. I believe you use your painful and hard past to propel you to achieve higher goals and prove your oppressors wrong. On the other hand, he could have used his past as an excuse to turn to self-pity and keep whining about his shortcomings. I wouldn't pin his success to his childhood experiences because it could have turned either way. It is purely about his will power and working hard.
Oh! your perspective is good! But I do think our past experiences contribute somehow, even his tenacity to prove others wrong came from his past experiences. But I do agree that it could've turned either way. Maybe he has a strong character that made him overcome those possible negative outcomes. I think, with your perspective in mind, it all boils down to his personality. :techie-studyingbrown:
I completely agree with you both. It could have turned out either way, coming down ultimately to his will power and work ethic but Dr. Douglas does make it a point to somewhat emphasise how his past experiences have enabled him to succeed via the lessons he's learnt over time.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Of course, our early life affects us and the environment we grow up in later on shows how we deal with life tribulations it depends on the case to a case will that be positive or negative. I don't know this may be a good question suited for someone in psychoanalysis background to explain it better.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

The author could have turned these experiences around and just felt sorry for himself. Later in life he would tell stories about the harsh realities of life. He did none of those things. He used the gifts God gave him and worked hard. The experience shaped but didn't define him.
Last edited by Wriley on 07 Jul 2019, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I believe childhood experiences can play a big part in defining someone's life in many ways. The outcome for a person's life depends on how they interpret some of the most dramatic childhood experiences. Some will let the experience defeat them while others will be determined to do just the opposite and go for the gold, just as the author in this instance did. Everything he experienced during childhood was out of his control so he did not let them have an impact on what he set out to accomplish.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

The experiences of childhood have a long lasting and a deep impact on an individual. But it also depends on the choices one makes that makes him who he is. Experiences just made him strong and determined to face difficulties in life head on.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Shilpa Paul wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 21:24 The experiences of childhood have a long lasting and a deep impact on an individual. But it also depends on the choices one makes that makes him who he is. Experiences just made him strong and determined to face difficulties in life head on.
Yup. I'd say it was a combination of both his experiences and the personal and professional choices that he made that led to his success.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”