Childhood experiences

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Childhood experiences

Post by Abacus »

I think his childhood experiences helped to define the man he was to become. Maybe he was able to learn from the experience. Because he remembered them so clearly, perhaps he was able to think them through and use them to improve his life.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

i've always believed that Nurture was more important than Nature in how a human develops, so i agree that the author's childhood experiences were critical in who he became as an adult. that event with Auntie where he stood up to her showed him that he could have successful results doing that and would promote him continuing to stand up for his values as an adult
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

The experiences that we live in childhood, certainly, affect our future and adult life. I think the learnings about his father, his mother's severity, and the moment he confronts aunt Edith and the support that he received from his Uncle Willie and Aunt Chrisie, we're impactful parts that contribute to his growth.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Childhood experiences does not define everyone whether a person will become successful or not in the future'. But it will be a great advantages when every child would grow in a fully supportive and a very positive environment. Interestingly I did not become an Inventor because of my childhood experiences but it's my passion to help others to succeed.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

evraealtana wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:49 I would say, we all have pain in our pasts - if it's not one thing, it's another. What counts is how you choose to use that pain, whatever its source. Any person has the option to whine and complain, to feel sorry for him/herself, to cry about life not being fair... Or to rise from the ashes and become greater as a result.

The author certainly was one of the latter types. However, that rising was not a result of what specifically he suffered; rather, it was due to a mindset that he bore. If he hadn't had the particular challenges he faced, he would have used different challenges to rise in a similar fashion. Whatever was available in his past would have become his fuel.
I agree about the author's mindset being strong enough and focused on his goals.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Abacus wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 13:46 I think his childhood experiences helped to define the man he was to become. Maybe he was able to learn from the experience. Because he remembered them so clearly, perhaps he was able to think them through and use them to improve his life.
He really did. I think having them remembered was an indication that he never forgot them and he learned a lot from them. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Swat3737 wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 18:32 i've always believed that Nurture was more important than Nature in how a human develops, so i agree that the author's childhood experiences were critical in who he became as an adult. that event with Auntie where he stood up to her showed him that he could have successful results doing that and would promote him continuing to stand up for his values as an adult
I agree with you as well about that incident with his auntie. It showed how he wanted to turn things around, that it was a mark that he will change his life with his own hands, own rules. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

InStoree wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 23:13 The experiences that we live in childhood, certainly, affect our future and adult life. I think the learnings about his father, his mother's severity, and the moment he confronts aunt Edith and the support that he received from his Uncle Willie and Aunt Chrisie, we're impactful parts that contribute to his growth.
I agree with those events you mentioned. They certainly served as turning points in his life. :tiphat:
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

While I think they definitely shaped him as a person, I don't necessarily feel that he wouldn't have achieved what he achieved without them, it all just might have happened differently
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Melissa Breen wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 12:24 While I think they definitely shaped him as a person, I don't necessarily feel that he wouldn't have achieved what he achieved without them, it all just might have happened differently
Well, we'll never know. We only have one life, so who knows what could have happened if things in our past didn't happen. :tiphat:
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

briellejee wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 09:06
Melissa Breen wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 12:24 While I think they definitely shaped him as a person, I don't necessarily feel that he wouldn't have achieved what he achieved without them, it all just might have happened differently
Well, we'll never know. We only have one life, so who knows what could have happened if things in our past didn't happen. :tiphat:
That's very true!!
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

They might have, Yes. The fact that he was given a hard time by his mother and aunt did not deter him later in life. These experiences though traumatic did not stop him from aiming high and getting to where he is.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

briellejee wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:36
Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 07:44 I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
Oh that's a good one! His experiences really shaped him and his attitude and character towards others. I do agree that those opportunities with Dr. Axelrod seemed promising, but I think it turned out fine on the author's part. :techie-studyingbrown:
And not only that, there are critical periods where one is more susceptible to mistreatment - very early childhood, and right before puberty. I agree it also has to do with his personality. Not every person can rise above mistreatment and use it as a propelling force towards rising above and overcoming.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 17:42
briellejee wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:36
Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 07:44 I agree that his experiences helped shape him but not just with his successes. With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt Edith treated him, I think it also fostered the kind of independence that ended with him giving up some pretty great opportunities like working with Dr. Axelrod.
Oh that's a good one! His experiences really shaped him and his attitude and character towards others. I do agree that those opportunities with Dr. Axelrod seemed promising, but I think it turned out fine on the author's part. :techie-studyingbrown:
And not only that, there are critical periods where one is more susceptible to mistreatment - very early childhood, and right before puberty. I agree it also has to do with his personality. Not every person can rise above mistreatment and use it as a propelling force towards rising above and overcoming.
I totally agree with you there. Not all have that kind of strength to overcome the bad side of things. Others might have done it, but everybody takes time. That is why I don't like it when people here compare the author to others, telling some that they don't have an excuse to not follow the author's footsteps. I mean, people are built differently.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 07:28 They might have, Yes. The fact that he was given a hard time by his mother and aunt did not deter him later in life. These experiences though traumatic did not stop him from aiming high and getting to where he is.
The way I see it, those things helped in shaping his attitude. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”