Childhood experiences

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Re: Childhood experiences

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I think that things can go one of two ways when someone grows up in a harsher or stricter environment. Either they'll use the struggles and unpleasantness they faced and use it to propel themselves in the real world, feeling hardened and more confident for things they had already endured. This isn't the case for everyone, unfortunately. There are a lot of people who crack in harder upbringings, or they simply never amount to anything because they internalize and believe the things others told them about themselves. It's disheartening, but it's true. One's outcome largely depends on who they are as an individual and how they act when under pressure or when faced with obstacles in life.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

Although the author's childhood experience was seemingly poor, he still managed be the top scoring student in his Island at the time and found a way to found some level of comfort in order to achieve his goals.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While some people would adopt a victim mentality, the author allowed the adversity he experienced to motivate him to work harder and make wise choices. I applaud his strength and perseverance.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

Mu choldhood was not good. But it made me into person i am today. I wont make the same mistake with my kids.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir

Post by T_stone »

With the disappointment of his father and the way his aunt treated him, I think it affected the kind of independence that ended with him.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Childhood experiences to some extent shapes our future, but not always. I can say the author also worked hard and was determinined; which maybe or maybe not have been compeled by past experiences.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Wambui-nj wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 01:06 I wouldn't say, Yes or No. I beleive you use your painful and hard past to propel you to achieve higher goals and prove your oppresors wrong. On the other hand, he could have used his past as an excuse to turn to self pity and keep whinning about his shortcomings. I wouldn't pin his success to his childhood experiences because it could have turned either way. It is purely about his will power and working hard.
I totally agree with you. Some childhood experiences could be so bitter and harmful that in the end you live a life of blame game. It is wonderful how the author chose the positive side of it.
Wanja Kenya
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

All experiences make us what we are. When people meet problems they react in several ways. One of them is to go over the problem (solve it), or to go around it (escape it). There is no right or wrong way but what we do at that moment teaches our brain how we are going to (most likely) react to other problems we will meet in future. That builds up or character.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

In most cases, childhood and upbringing can decide the way in which we act and react. Thus, I do agree that author mustered courage due to his childhood experiences.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Most people will either become just like their parents, or they will cognitively decide not to be like their parents in certain ways. It seems to me that the author is a thinker, and he made cognitive decisions about his own future, he didn’t just let the examples of, or the treatment from his parents shape his life.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

I couldn't even imagine the hardships of growing up in true poverty, but I also think that growing up in the type of environment that the author did gave him a strong sense of self-reliance, resilience, and the creativity to work around problems that he may not have been able to do if he didn't have the upbringing that he did. He didn't have anything to fall back on, and had to rely on his brain to solve issues.

Too often, when we can just buy things or get help from others, it can be difficult to figure out solutions on our own. I feel that his childhood experiences definitely helped influence who he was and further his successes in his life.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

As they normally say that experience is the best teacher, to some extent his past experiences contributed to his success. This happens to most of us in our daily lives. To succeed, we go through tough experiences and the scars we sustain reminds us of where we came from.
Books are beautiful.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I tend to think that the way people responded to their past experiences could have a great impact in their lives today. Some experiences toughen people in that they are able to make weighty decisions and succeed in life.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 07:22 While some people would adopt a victim mentality, the author allowed the adversity he experienced to motivate him to work harder and make wise choices. I applaud his strength and perseverance.
True. He turned his adversities to lessons.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Leah39 wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 13:51 I couldn't even imagine the hardships of growing up in true poverty, but I also think that growing up in the type of environment that the author did gave him a strong sense of self-reliance, resilience, and the creativity to work around problems that he may not have been able to do if he didn't have the upbringing that he did. He didn't have anything to fall back on, and had to rely on his brain to solve issues.

Too often, when we can just buy things or get help from others, it can be difficult to figure out solutions on our own. I feel that his childhood experiences definitely helped influence who he was and further his successes in his life.
Correct. His childhood experience really toughened him up and created in him the ability to make weighty decisions.
No Wahala

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”