The author and racism

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: The author and racism

Post by Nym182 »

I thought that it was pretty interesting when his initial reaction to racism was almost naivete. He had experienced a degree of racism from his own family at that point (since his sister was lighter skinned then he, thus she never had work as hard) but when could not believe that one's academic achievements or employment could be affected by the color of his skin.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Racism based discrimination is mostly gone away from the world, keeping it as a memory of a defect in the history. The author has faced a vast challenge, facing to racism based discrimination in the past
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Obviously Dr. Douglas is very brave and courageous. This is proven by what he does in confronting racial descrimination and facing it head on.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:42 This is obviously still a problem the world over, but the author makes it a point to confront these because he has a different experience of it.
I agree with it, racism is still a problem in our world today. And Frank is indeed brave, especially having to face a professors and his 'superior'. I think we all just need to take our stand concerning this, like Frank did.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I think the best way to defeat racism is to excel above them then they will have no choice but to acknowledge you. Recently in Kenya, my home. A great Guyanese with similar background struggles became the CEO of the biggest company in this region of. Africa. When he passed on, a white colleague on his memorial hailed him as a "white man in a black man's skin"
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

America is not as racist as it used to be. There are a lot of distinguishable African Americans in many areas. Ben Carlson and Thomas Sowell are two brilliant individuals. I didn't read this book. What happens exactly? A teacher says to an African American student that he will never be a scientist?
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I think that the way that Frank handled being oppressed was the inspirational part - holding his head high and working hard. This is the best way to overcome any obstacle - racism, sexism, religious bias, etc.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I hope things have gotten better as far as people being discriminated against because of race. I had to feel for him because of the way he was treated.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

For me he is a strong-willed man and he is very brave . I can only imagine all the experience that he went through but nevertheless I've been enlightened and so I thank you dear author of this book for this is a worthwhile read. I do hope someday that I can be as brave. as frank. in facing this kind of discrimination
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

kristine29 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 03:43 For me he is a strong-willed man and he is very brave . I can only imagine all the experience that he went through but nevertheless I've been enlightened and so I thank you dear author of this book for this is a worthwhile read. I do hope someday that I can be as brave. as frank. in facing this kind of discrimination
I agree that the author was brave and had a strong Will to face discrimination and racism since his childhood and enough resilience to never let it affct his goals.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

kristine29 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 03:43 For me he is a strong-willed man and he is very brave . I can only imagine all the experience that he went through but nevertheless I've been enlightened and so I thank you dear author of this book for this is a worthwhile read. I do hope someday that I can be as brave. as frank. in facing this kind of discrimination
I agree that the author was brave and had a strong Will to face discrimination and racism since his childhood and enough resilience to never let it affct his goals.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Browlyns wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 02:35 I think the best way to defeat racism is to excel above them then they will have no choice but to acknowledge you. Recently in Kenya, my home. A great Guyanese with similar background struggles became the CEO of the biggest company in this region of. Africa. When he passed on, a white colleague on his memorial hailed him as a "white man in a black man's skin"
Agreed! If someone has poor assumptions of you, prove them wrong! They won't be able to say anything then because you've earned their respect, begrudging or not.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Browlyns wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 02:35 I think the best way to defeat racism is to excel above them then they will have no choice but to acknowledge you. Recently in Kenya, my home. A great Guyanese with similar background struggles became the CEO of the biggest company in this region of. Africa. When he passed on, a white colleague on his memorial hailed him as a "white man in a black man's skin"
That is horrible. How degrading! This CEO was obviously intelligent and productive. And, you know, this other man thought he was giving him a compliment. I was very surprised to see that this type of racism goes on even in Africa. I just thought that people who experienced it would not want to participate in it. I guess it's like a bad attitude -- it spreads easily.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I'm surprised to hear that he didn't encounter racism in Guyana. It's just a happy feeling to know that there is some part of the world that has freed itself from this disgusting and ridiculous discrimination.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Aditi Sapate wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 11:27 I'm surprised to hear that he didn't encounter racism in Guyana. It's just a happy feeling to know that there is some part of the world that has freed itself from this disgusting and ridiculous discrimination.
Yes, it was a positive aspect to the author's journey thay he had not encountered racism in Guyana.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”