The author and racism

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Re: The author and racism

Post by OliviaLouise »

I think the intensity of overt racism varies geographically today. Back then, however, it was everywhere. I imagine it must have been surprising to Frank to have to deal with this issue since it was so different back in Guyana. It’s terrible. I think he handled it l really gracefully.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

Since racism is still so widespread here I think it was a really important thing to include. It's great that he never let it stop him
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

The character does not let the racists he encounters disappoint him. Just the opposite, he becomes even more determined to prove that he is a decent human who deserves respect.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 03:54 The character does not let the racists he encounters disappoint him. Just the opposite, he becomes even more determined to prove that he is a decent human who deserves respect.
I agree. He knew that he doesn't deserve the hate and that drove him to become better instead of becoming entirely bitter.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think he was brave to persevere in the face if so much conflict! I don't believe we will ever see the end to racism.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

B Creech wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:19 I think he was brave to persevere in the face if so much conflict! I don't believe we will ever see the end to racism.
I can't help but hope that it will end. But how can it if people in power tend to be racist as well? It's really hard but all we can do is hope for a better world for future generations.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

briellejee wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:43
B Creech wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:19 I think he was brave to persevere in the face if so much conflict! I don't believe we will ever see the end to racism.
I can't help but hope that it will end. But how can it if people in power tend to be racist as well? It's really hard but all we can do is hope for a better world for future generations.
I know! I worry about what my grandchildren will face!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I think its really great in the way it shows his attitude when dealing with such horrid racism and how he handles it maturely and carries on with his life despite these disgusting attitudes. I think the way he handles the situations he is presented with is really inspiring and can teach people a lot.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

B Creech wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 09:27
With the kind of progress that's been made so far, the only hope is that it will soon be a thing of the past.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 21:57 It broke my heart when his professor said that to him. Racism is ugly back then and still is now. Frank, however, faces this with determination to prove them wrong. I guess it is courageous and at the same time took a lot of mental strength to overcome those.
I agree and admire Frank's strength and determination.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 12:53
briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 21:57 It broke my heart when his professor said that to him. Racism is ugly back then and still is now. Frank, however, faces this with determination to prove them wrong. I guess it is courageous and at the same time took a lot of mental strength to overcome those.
I agree and admire Frank's strength and determination.
He showed amazing strength by reacting to racism and discrimination peacefully and never losing his head, which is more than inspiring.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 11:07
B Creech wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 09:27

With the kind of progress that's been made so far, the only hope is that it will soon be a thing of the past.
I pray that it will! It is better than it has been. I grew up in the 1960's and those were rough times!
B. Creech
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Nisha Ward wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 06:11
Wriley wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 09:57 Frank faces racism by holding his head high and working hard. I am not sure with the case of Ciba Geigy if I wouldn't have gotten mad but at that time in history, that was not an option for a black man. I'm white so I can't even imagine that kind of racism.
Yeah. Not to mention, a lot of people think Europe is less racist than the US but there are still a lot of traces of it. I think it also depends on the culture of the organisation involved, because even though he had more pushback at Hoescht, it was due to his being from the U.S. branch, as opposed to Ciba Geigy, which was definitely about his ethnicity.
It is sad that racism is still all too alive all over the world... Unfortunately, Europe is no better, contrary to modern beliefs. I live in France, and some of our neighbors had made some nasty statements about immigrants (especially from Africa and Asia) on more occasions than one... It's great that the author continued through life with his head up high. He is an inspiration to others, in my opinion.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

lucia_kizas wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 05:05
Nisha Ward wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 06:11
Wriley wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 09:57 Frank faces racism by holding his head high and working hard. I am not sure with the case of Ciba Geigy if I wouldn't have gotten mad but at that time in history, that was not an option for a black man. I'm white so I can't even imagine that kind of racism.
Yeah. Not to mention, a lot of people think Europe is less racist than the US but there are still a lot of traces of it. I think it also depends on the culture of the organisation involved, because even though he had more pushback at Hoescht, it was due to his being from the U.S. branch, as opposed to Ciba Geigy, which was definitely about his ethnicity.
It is sad that racism is still all too alive all over the world... Unfortunately, Europe is no better, contrary to modern beliefs. I live in France, and some of our neighbors had made some nasty statements about immigrants (especially from Africa and Asia) on more occasions than one... It's great that the author continued through life with his head up high. He is an inspiration to others, in my opinion.
I also believed that Europe was one of the racist countries, no offense though. I mean, historical accounts show that Europe had a human zoo wherein people from Africa and Asia tribes were put on display as if they were a kind of animal or fascination. It saddens and angers me that somehow, even today it still exists. I admire the author's resilience towards it as well.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

OliviaLouise wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 07:24 I think the intensity of overt racism varies geographically today. Back then, however, it was everywhere. I imagine it must have been surprising to Frank to have to deal with this issue since it was so different back in Guyana. It’s terrible. I think he handled it l really gracefully.
It really is. I keep seeing people wonder how he didn't face racism in Guyana, but the truth is that when your population is majority non-white, the face of racism is quite different. There's also colourism to factor in, which he did mention.

I believe this is why he was surprised when he encountered it in the US because it's a different kind of racism to what we in the Caribbean deal with.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”