The author and racism

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Re: The author and racism

Post by Alison Alissa »

I am glad the author did not let Professor`s opinion get him down.At times it is not always about race but fear that the other individual is better.Here in Africa we segregate ourselves due to financial or marital status,skin color,ethnic or religious group even education.I circle it to fear of being conquered.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Although the author faced several instances os discrimation, he didn;t let that bring him down. He rose above all that to achive his dreams.
M_Filomon75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-filomon75.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch weed by Zachery Wilson

Post by M_Filomon75 »

I think he confronted these issues bravely. He did not let the discrimination stop him from acheiving in his own life. I related to him on this level. I dealt with my problems similar to the way this author did.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

I had only read the free sample of the book, but I did note that there was a part where he mentioned that his cousin was "brown-skinned" and therefore "privileged." While he didn't mention his own skin tone, I got the impression that his skin tone was darker, and I've noticed a running theme in many communities where darker skinned people are discriminated against even within their own communities vs. lighter skinned people. I wonder if this type of behavior had also prepared him for the racism he may have faced in his future.

British Guyana was also colonized at the time, and seemed to be a sort of melting pot (again, just from what I read in the sample excerpt), with Blacks, people of Indian descent, and British. It made me think about if there was also racism there, as generally there is discrimination between the colonizers and the native people, who the colonizers tend to look down upon. Also, he briefly mentioned that there was a history of slavery as well, which goes hand in hand with discrimination and racism. I'd be curious to read further into the book, although I'm well aware that even into the middle part of the 20th century, racism was a shameful but well-accepted aspect in American society.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

It must have been very difficult for him to face racism. But he kept his head high and worked hard. Today he is the celebrated leader in his field and people are benefitting from his courage
KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KojoGH »

Frank Douglas is a hero just like the many who stand against racial discrimination and any form of discrimination in that case. I'm inspired by his courage and strength in standing to his toes against the pullback he he experience because of his skin colour. Thank God for his life.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:42 So in the book, when Frank gets to the US, he experiences instances of racial discrimination that he hadn't in Guyana, from one of his professors saying that he would never be a scientist to Ciba Geigy's DLs not wanting to give him Max's job in full because of his ethnicity. This is obviously still a problem the world over, but the author makes it a point to confront these because he has a different experience of it. What do you think of Frank's experiences in this area and how he confronts them?
I think Frank confronted them the right way by trying to enlighten them, rather than becoming violent to them. I think we blacks need to learn that violence does not solve racism, it only aggravates racism.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I give kudos to the author for facing the discrimination with his chin up and going ahead to prove the haters wrong. It's just a pity that the world hasn't fully abandoned that degrading habit. Just when will people learn that skin color is the most irrelevant judge of character?
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I totally understand how Frank feels. To be immersed in a world with your own people, where differences aren't as highlighted, then to be dunked into another place where you're so different from everyone else is more than a culture shock - it really tests how strong your will is and makes you aware of so many things. Frank's ability to hold his head above all that is really brave.
Sana Rabbani
Currently Reading: Geraldine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-rabbani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sana Rabbani »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 21:57 It broke my heart when his professor said that to him. Racism is ugly back then and still is now. Frank, however, faces this with determination to prove them wrong. I guess it is courageous and at the same time took a lot of mental strength to overcome those.
Agreed! Maybe, it will keep being ugly in the future. They way Frank faced all of this makes a good deal of his personality.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:42 So in the book, when Frank gets to the US, he experiences instances of racial discrimination that he hadn't in Guyana, from one of his professors saying that he would never be a scientist to Ciba Geigy's DLs not wanting to give him Max's job in full because of his ethnicity. This is obviously still a problem the world over, but the author makes it a point to confront these because he has a different experience of it. What do you think of Frank's experiences in this area and how he confronts them?
I thought it was very eye opening to see Frank's naivete when it came to the racism he experience when he first got to America... although he experienced racism even in his family(sister was lighter skinned so she didn't have as many chores) he could not believe that someone who dislike his skin color so much it affected his school and career.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ashley Louise »

Racism was horrible back then and unfortunately still is present and equally as awful today. It was a sad moment for me to read the way he had been treated and by a professor no less. I do agree that Frank handled it with courage and a good head on his shoulders held high. He wanted to prove it wrong by his actions.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

It's sad to see that such ugly discrimination exists among people. Racism has always been there but it's also a little satisfying that not all professors were racists and some were present to lend a helping hand too.
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Just how much does this book come in handy now, in the wake of the revelation of the level of racism in the United States? I should read this book most definitely. We must clear this filth that is racism now!!!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

It is determination to redeem himself from the status quo that made him overcome the obstacles.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”