The author and racism

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: The author and racism

Post by Nathan Berner »

I think it was quite inspiring to see how he handled racial discrimination. He handled it in such a peaceful way. They say the best revenge is living your best life, I think he definitely triumphed discrimination in that sense.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

The instances of racism in this book were awful, but I'm glad that the author brought instances such as these to light because they are still happening today. But I feel that Frank handled the challenges really well, by holding his head high and finding support from other professors who also believed that he could do it.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 21:57 It broke my heart when his professor said that to him. Racism is ugly back then and still is now. Frank, however, faces this with determination to prove them wrong. I guess it is courageous and at the same time took a lot of mental strength to overcome those.
I agree with you. It took a big dose of determination for him to overcome racism. Racism is very ugly and cruel. I would not wish it on anyone.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

aolayide wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 15:47
briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 21:57 It broke my heart when his professor said that to him. Racism is ugly back then and still is now. Frank, however, faces this with determination to prove them wrong. I guess it is courageous and at the same time took a lot of mental strength to overcome those.
I agree with you. It took a big dose of determination for him to overcome racism. Racism is very ugly and cruel. I would not wish it on anyone.
Same here. I see it every day in the news, and it really breaks my heart. And to actually experience it is a whole lot different.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

briellejee wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 00:42
Same here. I see it every day in the news, and it really breaks my heart. And to actually experience it is a whole lot different.
Trust me. It is different. I have the first-hand experience almost all the time. It is bad.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

aolayide wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 12:35
briellejee wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 00:42

Trust me. It is different. I have the first-hand experience almost all the time. It is bad.
So sorry to hear that. :cry: I do hope you're coping well against it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Nathan Berner wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 13:10 I think it was quite inspiring to see how he handled racial discrimination. He handled it in such a peaceful way. They say the best revenge is living your best life, I think he definitely triumphed discrimination in that sense.
The author did not want to react to racism negatively and handling it peacefully while still openly opposed to it was an excellent reaction. I found i inspiring.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

He was quite a goal oriented man from the time he set on pursuing an education in Guyana. This determination in my opinion is what drives him to withstand the shackles of racism.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Nathan Berner wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 13:10 I think it was quite inspiring to see how he handled racial discrimination. He handled it in such a peaceful way. They say the best revenge is living your best life, I think he definitely triumphed discrimination in that sense.
By not minding the bullies, he surely did both parties a favor.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Wyland wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 02:01 He was quite a goal oriented man from the time he set on pursuing an education in Guyana. This determination in my opinion is what drives him to withstand the shackles of racism.
I agree. He was focused on his goal that he didn't mind others. By having that determination to achieve his dream, that kept him on his path despite the racist treatments he received.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

DC Brown wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 20:47
Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:42 So in the book, when Frank gets to the US, he experiences instances of racial discrimination that he hadn't in Guyana, from one of his professors saying that he would never be a scientist to Ciba Geigy's DLs not wanting to give him Max's job in full because of his ethnicity. This is obviously still a problem the world over, but the author makes it a point to confront these because he has a different experience of it. What do you think of Frank's experiences in this area and how he confronts them?
He was brave and stuck to his principles. Unfortunately, racism is still alive and well in the US. Just last year, a friend and I went to a restaurant in a northern state and the staff did not want to serve us because my friend is black. I was shocked. She was not.
The fact that such things still happen shocks me. I am from a country where discrimination is not based on colour, but some convoluted caste system that existed centuries ago. However, the same difference!! Why does all this even matter in this short life, I always wonder... And I know people might have wondered similarly since discriminations started...
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

Florence Nalianya wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 06:30 The author faces several instances of discrimination in the USA to an extend where a lecturer feels he can't be a scientist and doesn't deserve that kind of education. At some point, the racist think he can't have a job for he is black.
It was quite inspiring how he overcame this setback by his own persistence and merits. He could have succumbed to the discrimination, but instead followed through and broke societal barriers.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

DC Brown wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 20:47
Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:42 So in the book, when Frank gets to the US, he experiences instances of racial discrimination that he hadn't in Guyana, from one of his professors saying that he would never be a scientist to Ciba Geigy's DLs not wanting to give him Max's job in full because of his ethnicity. This is obviously still a problem the world over, but the author makes it a point to confront these because he has a different experience of it. What do you think of Frank's experiences in this area and how he confronts them?
He was brave and stuck to his principles. Unfortunately, racism is still alive and well in the US. Just last year, a friend and I went to a restaurant in a northern state and the staff did not want to serve us because my friend is black. I was shocked. She was not.
This is terribly sad and enraging. And this is why books like the one we're discussing are fundamental. I don't mean to pry but may I ask how did you react to the staff's attitude? Did they apologize?
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wriley wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 09:57 Frank faces racism by holding his head high and working hard. I am not sure with the case of Ciba Geigy if I wouldn't have gotten mad but at that time in history, that was not an option for a black man. I'm white so I can't even imagine that kind of racism.
This happens to me too. I'm white and I grew in a different country, so I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of looking down on someone just because of something as meaningless as the color of their skin. But I think reading experiences like the ones in the book helps us create empathy.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Lunastella wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 19:38
Wriley wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 09:57 Frank faces racism by holding his head high and working hard. I am not sure with the case of Ciba Geigy if I wouldn't have gotten mad but at that time in history, that was not an option for a black man. I'm white so I can't even imagine that kind of racism.
This happens to me too. I'm white and I grew in a different country, so I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of looking down on someone just because of something as meaningless as the color of their skin. But I think reading experiences like the ones in the book helps us create empathy.
I think what you said about creating empathy is something that people tend to miss from the book. I have been seeing comments about it as inspirational and motivational, but this is the first one I saw about it teaching people about empathy. Thanks for bringing this to light. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”