Turning points in the story

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Turning points in the story

Post by briellejee »

Early on, the author recalled about the time where he attempted suicide when he was a boy overwhelmed with emotions. He was about to let himself fall over the edge but decided not to because of fear of drowning. Do you think this was a turning point in his life? That after this incident, he decided to turn his life around? For me, I think it was one of the instances that made him realize he could do better and life will be better. Another one was when he knew about his real father. Are there any other instances like this in the book that you think are turning points in the author's life?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The decision not to end his life is probably the most important turning point for him. The others may have played a role but it seems realizing he could do much better did play a huge role in his life.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I think when he talked to Moms about his father was his turning point. He decided life would change for him and HE would make it change. I know twelve year Olds kill themselves but honestly I don't think suicide was ever going to happen for Frank. A kid like Frank who talked himself out of suicide by deduction, was not going to kill himself.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Agreed with everyone above me and I'd like to add to that by pointing out that every major instance of racism he discusses has been a catalyst for some kind of change in his life, like when he left MIT over the Sherley incident.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 08:00 The decision not to end his life is probably the most important turning point for him. The others may have played a role but it seems realizing he could do much better did play a huge role in his life.
Same here, I think that was the distinctive part of his past. I also think that a child realizing that moment was something mature enough for his age. I mean, even people who are adults tend to get lost in the heat of overwhelming emotions. But for a boy of his age, realizing he did not want to die was something rare and maybe even far-fetched to me. It takes great mental strength to overcome those thoughts. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Nisha Ward wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 11:24 Agreed with everyone above me and I'd like to add to that by pointing out that every major instance of racism he discusses has been a catalyst for some kind of change in his life, like when he left MIT over the Sherley incident.
Yes, I agree that those racism incidents are one of the things that pushed him to make grand choices that somehow turned out well for him. :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 08:00 The decision not to end his life is probably the most important turning point for him. The others may have played a role but it seems realizing he could do much better did play a huge role in his life.
I agree. I saw this as his rock-bottom and everything after that was him moving forward with the motivation to do better and be better.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think there's a reason that the author began the book with that story of contemplating suicide and then not going through with it. Obviously, he sees that as a turning point in his life, and it is written as the point where he decides to take control (or as much control as he can) over his life. That one decision is the catalyst for everything that comes after.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

esp1975 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 10:39 I think there's a reason that the author began the book with that story of contemplating suicide and then not going through with it. Obviously, he sees that as a turning point in his life, and it is written as the point where he decides to take control (or as much control as he can) over his life. That one decision is the catalyst for everything that comes after.
I agree with you, the decision not to kill himself did it for him when he realised that there's more ahead.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 22:13
Same here, I think that was the distinctive part of his past. I also think that a child realizing that moment was something mature enough for his age. I mean, even people who are adults tend to get lost in the heat of overwhelming emotions. But for a boy of his age, realizing he did not want to die was something rare and maybe even far-fetched to me. It takes great mental strength to overcome those thoughts. :techie-studyingbrown:
Getting lost in the heat of overwhelming emotions in the worst thing that can happen to anyone regardless of age. With the increase in cases of suicide, I guess we all need a turning point.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 00:59 Early on, the author recalled about the time where he attempted suicide when he was a boy overwhelmed with emotions. He was about to let himself fall over the edge but decided not to because of fear of drowning. Do you think this was a turning point in his life? That after this incident, he decided to turn his life around? For me, I think it was one of the instances that made him realize he could do better and life will be better. Another one was when he knew about his real father. Are there any other instances like this in the book that you think are turning points in the author's life?
A turning point he didn't mention was his marriage, bringing his wife to the States, and having children. Those are also major things that impact life.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I felt there were many turning points in his life. He got engaged before he left his home country, and at some point, evidently married and had children. He stuck with that early decision just as he stuck to his later choices. He was true to himself.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 06:10
I agree. I saw this as his rock-bottom and everything after that was him moving forward with the motivation to do better and be better.
Same here. That actually might be the biggest turning point in his life that made him who he is now. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

esp1975 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 10:39 I think there's a reason that the author began the book with that story of contemplating suicide and then not going through with it. Obviously, he sees that as a turning point in his life, and it is written as the point where he decides to take control (or as much control as he can) over his life. That one decision is the catalyst for everything that comes after.
I think you worded it better than anyone else. "Taking control" of his life was something he learned there and then. I agree it being the catalyst of his story. This also shows how he was able to be resilient through and through when he went to college. Thanks for this! :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

MatereF wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 10:49
I agree with you, the decision not to kill himself did it for him when he realised that there's more ahead.
I'm also glad that he was able to be rational while he was standing at the edge. Some people don't have that small realization by themselves, so kudos to the author for having a strong mentality. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”