How suicide is handled in this book

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: How suicide is handled in this book

Post by briellejee »

lucia_kizas wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 05:15 Suicide is a heavy subject, and truly painful to those who have lost their loved ones. So, in my opinion, the author's way of not adding a dark mood to this topic is great. He allows the readers to see he was in this stage but doesn't burden them with the heaviness of suicidal thoughts.
I agree. This topic is usually avoided because it might have a triggering effect, but then the author was able to do it with no problem.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

lucia_kizas wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 05:15 Suicide is a heavy subject, and truly painful to those who have lost their loved ones. So, in my opinion, the author's way of not adding a dark mood to this topic is great. He allows the readers to see he was in this stage but doesn't burden them with the heaviness of suicidal thoughts.
The author chose not to highlight the darkness associated with suicide but decided to try to the comedic dark humor of his younger self.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

I think I would appreciate how the author handled. It could an appreciable line of thought to anyone else who was that depressed.
Fiyin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Fiyin »

I think the author handles the suicide issue properly. He did not support it, he just presented it in a way that was humorous.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

deaanbeaan wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 18:44 Do you agree with how the topic of suicide was handled in this book? Personally, I thought it was fantastic and is a great example of dark humour done right. What do you think?
I thought that the reasoning he did about the suicide was an example of his extreme intelligence. It was surprising to me that it manifested itself at such a young age.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Since suicide and humor are two opposite poles, I honestly couldn't appreciate the dark humor employed by the author. I especially think of the effect that suicide has on the minds of those left behind.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

DC Brown wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 10:04
deaanbeaan wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 18:44 Do you agree with how the topic of suicide was handled in this book? Personally, I thought it was fantastic and is a great example of dark humour done right. What do you think?
I thought that the reasoning he did about the suicide was an example of his extreme intelligence. It was surprising to me that it manifested itself at such a young age.
I did not see it that way, but now that you've mentioned it, I guess it really did reflect on his maturity and intellect. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Samy Lax wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 02:05 Since suicide and humor are two opposite poles, I honestly couldn't appreciate the dark humor employed by the author. I especially think of the effect that suicide has on the minds of those left behind.
I really don't think the author intended it as dark humor. Some of us don't really see it that way.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

While I don't necessarily think that the author meant the way they handled and discussed themes of suicide to come across as humorous, a lot of younger people do tend to use dark humour as a means of dealing with suicide and mental or emotional conditions in general. It's very much a generational thing that is likely to become more common as we open ourselves up to discussing such things more unashamedly.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

As it relates to the topic of suicide, I think it was handled as how the average person would have. As most of us may have contemplated suicide but when sent to the brink find ourselves sitting and pondering of another option as we are not up for ending it all just yet.
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

It's hard to handle such a sensitive topic such as suicide but I think the author did really well, and it was not triggering nor too depressing to read about. It made the situation known without making the emotions too harsh
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

I loved how suicide was handled in the book. If he had ended his life he would have never gotten to see his journey and see his victories. It really sends a positive message to readers.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I really applaud at author's venture to discuss such a serious issue with such easiness witch is not disturbing for readers at all. Its a great lesson for life I feel should be learnt by all, not to ever give up on life.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I like when authors are able to talk about an issue in a somewhat lighter way - even when it is serious. I thought the author was appropriate here.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I really believe it is hard to have a neutral approach to something so sensitive in nature. If it is triggering or not, it is up to the reader, more than the author itself. I think there is no correct way to make art, you just create, write, whatever speaks to you and you hope your readers will feel what you were trying to transpose.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”