The author's approach to life?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: The author's approach to life?

Post by briellejee »

Nathan Berner wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 13:17 I feel like, even though he rejected his childhood in a sense, he used what he learned growing up to provide for his family. What he experienced in childhood seemed like motivation for him to distance himself from it and to lead a different life.
You worded it very well. I agree with you. Distancing himself also meant that he decided not to go back from it again. He had learned from it and he is willing to let it go for a better future. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kristine29 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 02:59 I think I agree with both, especially the accepthing part. I do think you can never truly be satisfied with what you will become if you don't embrace what you had been. Acceptance is the one of the key, an important one.
wow, this rings true and you put it in a good way. I agree as well. I think being able to accept his past was able to propel him to a better future, thus letting it go. :tiphat:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

briellejee wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 01:02 I also think it's a combination of both. The author managed to make his childhood experiences a lesson and then proceed to make sure his children wouldn't go through with it ever again.
Precisely. The author channeled his 'acceptance' of his childhood (as lessons) in a positive way to make a better future for his family. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

The author embraced his childhood, learned from it, tried hard to triumph over the adversities, and made sure his children won't experience the same.

He's amazing! He inspires readers to follow his lead.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think his past made his present visible. And the deprivation he experienced made him to work harder so, his generation to come won't experience that.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 12:37
briellejee wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 01:02 I also think it's a combination of both. The author managed to make his childhood experiences a lesson and then proceed to make sure his children wouldn't go through with it ever again.
Precisely. The author channeled his 'acceptance' of his childhood (as lessons) in a positive way to make a better future for his family. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Well, after all, what he went through, no parent could wish it upon their child. :tiphat:
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

I feel that the author's approach to life is well explained in his prologue when he advises his grandchildren to keep no boundaries to their dreams and to learn when to keep their "swords in scabbard" or when to "stiffen the sinews" or when to "imitate the action of the tiger".
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Benthic wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 11:21 I feel that the author's approach to life is well explained in his prologue when he advises his grandchildren to keep no boundaries to their dreams and to learn when to keep their "swords in scabbard" or when to "stiffen the sinews" or when to "imitate the action of the tiger".
That is a very succint way of putting it. He detailed all of it to his grandchildren before diving into his story.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Benthic wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 11:21 I feel that the author's approach to life is well explained in his prologue when he advises his grandchildren to keep no boundaries to their dreams and to learn when to keep their "swords in scabbard" or when to "stiffen the sinews" or when to "imitate the action of the tiger".
True. And I loved that he used analogies to teach them lessons he had learned throughout his life but experienced first as a child himself. I appreciate you taking the time to stop in and comment!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

He has learned from his childhood because the things he currently provides for his family are what he was denied in his childhood.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

I'm glad that he imparted these values to his grandchildren. He knew what rage could do to a child when he's bombarded with insults.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Wyland wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 01:54 He has learned from his childhood because the things he currently provides for his family are what he was denied in his childhood.
True, by having expereinced it first hand and how can it affect one's life, he certainly did not want it for his family.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Wambui-nj wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 12:31
In my own experience, it's almost impossible to totally reject one's upbringing, even if it held unfortunate or even adverse experiences.
This I agree with you and I think the writer utilized the childhood experience to become better. What we become in life directly or indirectly comnnected to our childhood experiences.
Very well said. As I get older and people share their childhood experiences with me, it's usually pretty evident to see how they've carried over pieces of their childhood into adulthood.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Jacquelyn-63 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 10:42 I think it’s a combination. No one can ever completely reject their childhood. The only thing you can do is learn from it so that you want to change things. Those things are what turned you into the person you are today.
I agree with this. Sometimes, we blame those experiences, thinking probably it could have been better. But, if things had happened differently, we wouldn't have been what we are now.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I think that it is hard to deny what has happened to us in our lives, especially if the memories are too strong to forget. I like how the author transformed those past experiences to bring into a life that he (and his family) would never have to go through again.
-rk

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”