Medical and scientific terminology

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Czolly23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czolly23.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Medical and scientific terminology

Post by Czolly23 »

I really enjoyed reading Dr. Douglas’s autobiography and found him to be very inspirational. I struggled, however, with the plethora of medical and scientific terminology. When the intricacies of medications and diagnoses were discussed, I found it difficult to follow, and that it distracted from his main theme.

What do you think? Did it add to the book and your understanding? Did you also find it distracting and at times a bit tedious?
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I think you have to either have a prior knowledge about the terms used or a thirst to find out about it. There are such aspects in every book that we're not familiar with but that's what makes reading such an amazing activity! We get to learn so much.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Fortunately, I have a good knowledge of medicine and science, so I was able to understand everything. However, I know that most people probably didn't and wish that the author had included more explanations.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

The medical and scientific terminologies were appealing to me maybe because I am medically or scientifically-inclined. Regardless, I enjoy reading the book. The science terms were not distracting for me.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I enjoy when authors include medical and scientific terminology, but I know that many readers feel this detracts from a book's main idea. I think, as a general rule, authors shouldn't include terminology (without explanation) that would prevent most readers from understanding what they're talking about.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

As a retired nurse, I had no problem with the medical and scientific terminology but I understand how daunting it can be to be reading a book and not understand parts of what it is saying! I think, in that respect, it does take away from the book. When I was actively working I know there were times I would be talking with a patient's family and using medical terms without thinking! So I understand what you are saying!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 16:04 I enjoy when authors include medical and scientific terminology, but I know that many readers feel this detracts from a book's main idea. I think, as a general rule, authors shouldn't include terminology (without explanation) that would prevent most readers from understanding what they're talking about.
I agree with your point. Jargon is jargon, whether it's medical, scientific, nautical, or whatever. An author needs to keep in mind that not everyone is as familiar with certain subjects as he or she may be.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that, for a memoir, it did get quite technical at times. I was surprised at the depth of the technical explanations compared to the lack of information about his family and home life.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

For most readers, I do think it wasn't explained to laymen's terms, which is difficult. Even the reviews pointed this out because it was indeed distracting. As for me, however, being in somewhat the same field with the author, the terms were informative and educational. But I do think it wasn't a wise move to have not explained to them that every reader of all professions could understand.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The medical terms were difficult to comprehend without referring elsewhere and made the book slower to read.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I agree with the folks that have shared. My Husband works in our local OR, so medical terms are normal for me, but I do think when reading I don't always want to have to be unsure. I do like being able to learn new things, but more explanations would be helpful.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
KaitW13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitw13.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by KaitW13 »

The use of medical terminology within books can sometimes add a much needed boost of credibility and proof of knowledge about certain subjects. That does not dispute the fact, however, that most people are unfamiliar with such terms and can leave them feeling confused about the current issue being discussed within the book, which can also have a negative effect on opinions concerning the book. In this instance, I feel that it is well integrated and provides a fantastic difference that sets the memoir apart from others.
gshallar_
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gshallar.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by gshallar_ »

I don’t mind when authors use medical or scientific terms sparingly. I enjoy learning new things when I read, even if that means having to do some outside research about a topic. I feel like in this case it added a lot of information that people generally may not have known, and while it may be distracting for some, it may be helpful for others.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 20:58 I agree that, for a memoir, it did get quite technical at times. I was surprised at the depth of the technical explanations compared to the lack of information about his family and home life.
I haven't noticed this before, but I realized it now that you mentioned it. maybe the author got carried away wanting to share his knowledge of his expertise that he focused on it too much rather than his personal life.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

gshallar_ wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 21:24 I don’t mind when authors use medical or scientific terms sparingly. I enjoy learning new things when I read, even if that means having to do some outside research about a topic. I feel like in this case it added a lot of information that people generally may not have known, and while it may be distracting for some, it may be helpful for others.
I'm one of those people who like learning new things when I read, but too lazy enough to research outside of it. Because that would mean I have to put the book down and go read another thing. I think it would be best to take notes, but seeing that the terms are widely spread, not knowing them or having them explained makes if difficult to some people to understand the text or relate to the story itself.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”