Medical and scientific terminology

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Jess_book_queen
Currently Reading: Homo Deus
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-book-queen.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Re: Medical and scientific terminology

Post by Jess_book_queen »

As someone from a scientific background I thoroughly enjoy being given scientific terms in the books I'm reading, however too many especially when the reader does not understand the concepts can make it difficult. I feel that correct names should be used for scientific and medical terms, but a layman's description included to allow the reader to understand the context of it.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Unfortunately while reading this book I had a problem with Medical and scientific terminology which I had no background information about. Maybe I should have read some of the medical and scientific terms to understand them before reading this book.
Books are beautiful.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Sometimes it isn't a bad thing to learn something new on a subject one is unfamiliar with. I once heard that "an educated person is someone who knows a bit about everything, but a learned person is one who knows everything about a particular subject". I can't verify the source of this statement but it sounds good rolling off the tongue.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Personally, medical terminology in books does not detract from my enjoyment, but I have an extensive science education, and if anything look up terminology I do not know because I am interested. But I can definitely see where that would be annoying, like if I had to read a book with scientific plant names every page instead of common names, or technically describing airplane parts.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Writing with too many scientific and medical terms in a way that is not comprehensive to readers is actually odd. The writer should consider his readers when writing.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

There is a similar argument for the classic, Moby Dick. Many people describe slogging though chapter after chapter of naval and whaling terminology. That being said, the efforts that I took to understand and enjoy Moby Dick made it all the worthwhile. I think tough terminology and topics can definitely make a book better.
Burnaard+42
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burnaard-42.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Burnaard+42 »

Use of medical jargon may make one to skip a lot of details. For a memoir I don't think they were necessary.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I haven't gotten fully through the book, but so far that part of it has been challenging. That being said, I'm also a nerd, so I love finding an excuse to research or look something up. The terminology has certainly piqued my curiosity on more than one occasion.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Personally, I found them distracting as well. I didn't have any particular interest in looking up the medical terminology used in the books, nor did I have any prior knowledge of those terms. I would've preferred simpler terms to be used since the majority of the readers wouldn't know too much about medicine.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Aditi Sapate wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 11:30 I think you have to either have a prior knowledge about the terms used or a thirst to find out about it. There are such aspects in every book that we're not familiar with but that's what makes reading such an amazing activity! We get to learn so much.
Yes, you are right. At least, non-medical individuals will learn some things about medicine from this book.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Czolly23 wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 07:36 I really enjoyed reading Dr. Douglas’s autobiography and found him to be very inspirational. I struggled, however, with the plethora of medical and scientific terminology. When the intricacies of medications and diagnoses were discussed, I found it difficult to follow, and that it distracted from his main theme.

What do you think? Did it add to the book and your understanding? Did you also find it distracting and at times a bit tedious?
I can relate to that. But, you see, for non-medical individuals like us, this is a good way to learn some things about medicine. Reading such books gives us subconscious knowledge about medicine.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm not familiar with a lot of medical and scientific terminologies, and thus, do tend to skim over them when I
encounter their presence in the books that I'm reading.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Luckily, I have a wide range of random scientific vocabulary stuffed into my head. I feel like this medical speak would get some readers intrigued on how things work in the medical field.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I agree that this is very distracting. I don't like to have to research while I'm reading just to understand what I'm reading. I think there are better ways to write this to appeal to more readers.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by kali09 »

It can be jarring to come across a medical term that you're unfamiliar with, but I don't mind. I just Google it and move on.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”