Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

How's summer reading going?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Mine? Not so well unfortunately. For the past month or so, I've been teaching 6th grade summer school and that's been consuming a lot of my time. All good stuff, but I do wish I could read more. Plus, I've been trying to get through a book that really hasn't been working for me. I hate to give up on it since a lot of people like it, but I can't seem to get into it. Luckily, I found another one to start and I'm definitely reading that one at a quicker pace!

My goal is to finish at least two books for the remainder of this month - we'll see how that goes.

How's your summer reading going? :happy-sunny:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mine is going pretty well, and I managed to read quite a bit.

I hope the new book will be more to your taste. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 11:00 Mine is going pretty well, and I managed to read quite a bit.

That's awesome! I love those periods of time when I can read a lot. I'm hoping since the last day of teaching summer school is tomorrow, I'll be able to read a bit more than I have been able to this summer.

Thank you! So far I'm liking it. Right now, it's a solid 3/4. We'll see if it'll bump into a higher rating once I'm done. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 19:15
gali wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 11:00 Mine is going pretty well, and I managed to read quite a bit.

That's awesome! I love those periods of time when I can read a lot. I'm hoping since the last day of teaching summer school is tomorrow, I'll be able to read a bit more than I have been able to this summer.

Thank you! So far I'm liking it. Right now, it's a solid 3/4. We'll see if it'll bump into a higher rating once I'm done. :)
Great!

Maybe we can start Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray in that case. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I'm actually doing pretty decent as far as summer reading goes. I knocked a couple non-fiction christian books out within a week of each other. So that was pretty neat. Both were very good, too. Now I just have to get back into Gilchrist, which is the polar opposite of what I was reading, lol. Its a horror book :shock:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 00:14

Great!

Ah, yes! You're so good. Yep, I agree. We can probably start Before the Devil Breaks You. Do you have a preference when we should start? I'm in the middle of the book I mentioned, but I should be done with it by mid-week.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Eclecticmama wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 13:48 I'm actually doing pretty decent as far as summer reading goes. I knocked a couple non-fiction christian books out within a week of each other. So that was pretty neat. Both were very good, too. Now I just have to get back into Gilchrist, which is the polar opposite of what I was reading, lol. Its a horror book :shock:
Nice work on getting those christian books read so close to each other! Oh wow...I just looked up Gilchrist out of curiosity, and yep, that's pretty different from non-fiction christian books, lol. Hope you enjoy it!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 15:34

Great!

Ah, yes! You're so good. Yep, I agree. We can probably start Before the Devil Breaks You. Do you have a preference when we should start? I'm in the middle of the book I mentioned, but I should be done with it by mid-week.
I am ready whenever you are. We can start it when you finish your current book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 23:59

Great!

I am ready whenever you are. We can start it when you finish your current book. :)
Cool! I'll request it from my library and let you know when I'm done with what I'm reading now. Then, we can start it. :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:23

Cool! I'll request it from my library and let you know when I'm done with what I'm reading now. Then, we can start it. :)
Great! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

Pretty well! Usually, in the summer I am working so much that I don't have time to read anything. This summer though, I have finished almost ten while working full time. It's been such a joy to read so much this summer and I hope I can keep it up through the school year!
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:26

Just requested! It looked like there were several copies available in my library network, so I would think I'd get it soon.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Brandt wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:45 Pretty well! Usually, in the summer I am working so much that I don't have time to read anything. This summer though, I have finished almost ten while working full time. It's been such a joy to read so much this summer and I hope I can keep it up through the school year!
10 books while working full-time? That's awesome! I hope you enjoyed them all. Good luck in keeping up with reading that much when the school year starts!

Do you have a favorite of the ones you read so far this summer?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 09:57
gali wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:26

Just requested! It looked like there were several copies available in my library network, so I would think I'd get it soon.
Nice! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 09:58
Brandt wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:45 Pretty well! Usually, in the summer I am working so much that I don't have time to read anything. This summer though, I have finished almost ten while working full time. It's been such a joy to read so much this summer and I hope I can keep it up through the school year!
10 books while working full-time? That's awesome! I hope you enjoyed them all. Good luck in keeping up with reading that much when the school year starts!

Do you have a favorite of the ones you read so far this summer?
It has been hard, but I have been keeping at it! So far, my favorite has been Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. They were so incredible. I also loved reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath for a second time. Hoping to get a few classics in by the end of the year. I'm hoping to get through War and Peace. How about you?
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde

Return to “July 2019 Genre Discussion”