Too Fictionized?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Re: Too Fictionized?

Post by Monishka Sharma »

SavannaEGoth wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 22:36 I mean, to be very frank, I regard religious texts as fiction, or at least mostly fiction, to begin with. It's interesting to see how others view biblical stories and events, and how they make sense of the stories by filling in the gaps or setting out to create explanations for things. It can be fun to see what others believe or how they perceive the old "canon" texts.
I, too consider old testaments or mythology as fiction and don't really read religious mythology. These stories are hard to believe being logical.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I had this same thought! I like the additions to the bible text/verses by the author for the most part, but some of them were purely fictitious speculation and it was just too much.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I do not see it as fiction. At best, I see it as a more contemporary narrative of the Old Testament events.
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

I mean I haven't exactly read the bible but reading this was FAR more interesting so what I'm trying to say is even if it is fictionalised I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I have started reading this book because I was interested in reading the Old Testament in chronological order, however, I am only a few pages in and I am frustrated with how much is being added to the story that is not in the Bible. I think when translating religious texts, a person must be diligent in staying true to what is written and not make additions to make the story more interesting.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I would say there is some fiction but it doesn't take away from the Bible stories, it fills the gaps.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

UnicornKnight wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 05:05 I must say, this topic is really interesting since I didn't think to look at it that way. I suppose I was taught in school to think of the bible as historic, but while I was reading the book I only saw the parts the author added as just a way to understand everything better. Having seen this thread, however, I will reconsider everything the author wrote as I can see how it would be considered fiction.
Thehorselover wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:48 I had this same thought! I like the additions to the bible text/verses by the author for the most part, but some of them were purely fictitious speculation and it was just too much.
I wasn't exactly taught to view the Bible as historic, but I was taught to believe it was true. Even so, I've had my doubts (about specific things in it) over the years. With the addition of "fill-in's," albeit interesting ones, from the author, it just makes me wonder even more about what actually happened in all those 'left out' bits, and there are a LOT of them. I think of what the author added in as fiction because per the Bible we actually don't know what happened, so it is pure speculation on his part. Thank you both for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Sam_Ibeh wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 10:12 I do not see it as fiction. At best, I see it as a more contemporary narrative of the Old Testament events.
That's an interesting way to look at it. I went back and re-read a bit. The author's additions do give it a bit of a "contemporary" feel, but not so much that it doesn't fit. Obviously, I don't think of canon Old Testament as fiction but the additions, in my opinion, are only speculation on the part of the author. It admittedly makes it more interesting and easier to understand, however. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Atharva Joshi wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 14:36 I mean I haven't exactly read the bible but reading this was FAR more interesting so what I'm trying to say is even if it is fictionalised I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
I completely agree that the author has succeeded in making the content more interesting and understandable. The 'problem' is that he's added things in that we have no idea whether or not is what really happened. I also agree that it's not necessarily a bad thing in that, in my opinion at least, none of what the author has added takes away or fundamentally changes the actual canon content of the Old Testament. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your opinion!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

HeatherEi wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 15:02 I have started reading this book because I was interested in reading the Old Testament in chronological order, however, I am only a few pages in and I am frustrated with how much is being added to the story that is not in the Bible. I think when translating religious texts, a person must be diligent in staying true to what is written and not make additions to make the story more interesting.
True, but I don't think the author's goal was to translate the text. By 'filling in the holes' he was trying to make it not just more interesting, but also more understandable. My point is/was that neither he nor we have any way of knowing whether what he has inserted is actually what happened. Therefore, to me anyway, it qualifies as fiction. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

SavannaEGoth wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 22:36 I mean, to be very frank, I regard religious texts as fiction, or at least mostly fiction, to begin with. It's interesting to see how others view biblical stories and events, and how they make sense of the stories by filling in the gaps or setting out to create explanations for things. It can be fun to see what others believe or how they perceive the old "canon" texts.
I feel the same about religious texts- that they are fiction or mostly fiction. However these tales still have a valuable message to impart to millions of people, and it is interesting to see the author trying to fill in the gaps without actually deviating from the original story.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Jsovermyer wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 06:18
Kelyn wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 01:05
Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:58 I don't think this book is too fictionalized. I appreciate that the author has tried to make the Old Testament stories more understandable using modern wording.
I appreciate that as well. It has (kind of) been done before, putting it in modern language that is. One of the Bibles I had as an undergrad had been 'translated' into modern language. I used it for years because it made it so much easier to understand. This author went the extra step of inserting content to cover the 'holes' in the stories. I can't help but think of those parts as fiction. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
There are many versions of the Bible. Even the King James version that so many use is just a translation from the original languages that the scrolls were written in. King James decided what to put in and what to leave out. The Catholic Bible has a different number of books from the Protestant one. Who's to say if the translators in his time didn't add their own spin on the stories.
I absolutely agree. It makes you wonder how much of it is still true to the original version of the Bible.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Not too fictionized. I loved how the author filled the gaps between the Bible stories.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

As a nonbeliever, I don't mind that the author filled in the "gaps" in the stories. It's interesting to experience how other people understand the events. If I was a believer, I'd probably just read the original texts and leave this book aside.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I don't think it's too fictionized. I'm more worried when some writers are afraid of interpreting the Bible wrongly, and then make things vague or/and limit their own creativity.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”