Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Some of my favorite stories come from the Old Testament and I take great pride in recognizing the stories when they are brought up in discussion.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Growing up I learned about the Old Testament in Sunday school and I think the main lesson I took away from it was that there are rhymes and reasons for everything and a lesson should and could be learned from every single story.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

The book is very open and refreshing, It really speaks volumes of the research work the author has done and the narration is also very smooth and easy to follow. It really brings waves of nostalgia through and I think the author has done a great job in this book. I recommend anyone who loves stories.
ernest kafuna
Favorite Author: Thomas McCoy
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-kafuna.html
fav_author_id: 168307

Post by ernest kafuna »

Its amazing how the book feels like yku reading the old testament in church,nothing was changed
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

MatereF wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 03:24 As a lover of Bible Stories, this is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book in chronological order making it simpler to read. I will also recommend this book to my family members, fellow Sunday school teachers and friends.
I don't normally love books like this, however, after seeing everyone's replies I may read this. Sometimes, when I am in the right mood, I will read religious novels for education purposes. I like the sound of it being chronological.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

As am not a Christian, i have no idea what the title is about. But i like to read about the books of all religions and the religious characters. Hope it's interesting.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I really enjoyed the book being a Christian. Also, the fact that the author narrated bible stories in an easy and interesting way makes it readable. I will definitely recommend it to my family members.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

aacodreanu wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:52 I like the quote of the Bible that was made the title of the book. I rejoice at the Lord's promise. I am sure He kept it, whether we recognize it or not. Mankind has been prone to complaining, to wanting more. I am sure that Val D. Greenwood's book will find a readership that will enjoy reading it. I myself will stick to the Bible and the priests' interpretation of it in church.
I also loved that quote, and the illustration on the cover.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

I'll have to see if I can find time to read this book! It looks good! It's a good idea. God's promise to Abraham is extraordinary, especially since the Jewish Nation, and our Savior, Christ, are descended from him.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

We don't come across many books like this these days and I'm absolutely thrilled that the author wrote this book!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I like the author has arranged stories in chronological order. As someone from other religion but wants to read the Bible out of curiosity it helps a lot.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

shravsi wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:32 I like the author has arranged stories in chronological order. As someone from other religion but wants to read the Bible out of curiosity it helps a lot.
Being written in plain and clear English is definitely a plus, especially for non- Christians, who are interested in getting acquainted with stories from the Old Testament.
kepha10
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 914
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by kepha10 »

The topic itself is very captivating, I am a christian and the moments I saw the topic I really needed to read the book.The promise to Abraham from God is more of one statement in the bible but now seeing it as a whole novel it perplexes you to read it even deeper for the understanding. I loved the book soo much, congrats Val D. Greenwood :techie-studyingbrown:
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

What I like most about the book is the fact that the author has arranged his stories such that they reflect the chronological order of the Bible. Many Christians do not even know that the Old Testament Scriptures did not happen in the order they were presented and I like that this opens the eyes of the reader to that pertinent fact
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

Looks good and appealing. Seems like I already posted on this book, or something similar. God's plan to give Abraham a lot of descendants( the Jews) was His way of bringing His Son, Jesus, into the world, 'in the fullness of time', as Galatians 4 says.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”