Has our God left us alone?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Has our God left us alone?

Post by ReneeBrown »

Othervi wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:29 In the past, scriptural stories related to the Bible were very important in human life. They presented a worldview in which they showed human beings important things related to the Hereafter, the fall of man, the afterlife, the rewards and punishments, and so on.

But do these stories still work today? Or are they just read for hobby and enjoyment? Stories like the ones in I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

In my opinion, they no longer have a role in human life, because our history has changed a lot. Now these stories are important for literal aspects. Also they're noticeable because they are beautiful and probably have some tips. But in our view of the world they have little effect.
I was intrigued with this question. I think a lot of people today wonder if God still cares about us when there are so many horrible things that happen in our time. I think that those people look at how involved God was in the lives of His people in the Old Testament and wonder if it is still like that. In my opinion God is still involved in our daily and individual lives, but it is hard to recognize it.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Well, God is the Beginning and the ending, so I think everything in between is know by Him. I think it is relevant to human life today.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

I believe that any story, regardless of its religious validity, can always teach us something. If you come away with a new perspective on being a better person from a regretful vampire novel, or have an epiphany on how to help your friend through a hard time based on a young adult romance, or you find a way to find peace and compassion through a space novel with vastly different alien races, I think all of those stories are important. So if people find morality and a "harm to none" attitude in the Bible and the stories of the Old or New Testament, then I say excellent.

But, to play devil's advocate here, I do think that many of the ideas in the Old Testament are out of date and no longer relevant to our modern world. For example, the book of Deuteronomy, while having some great ideas on returning peoples' lost property and building safe roofs, also advocates stoning to death women who are not virgins on their wedding night and says that women who wear men's clothes are abominations in the sight of God (that's all just from chapter 22). I don't know about you, but if I have to be an abomination to wear trousers, I'm 100% okay with that.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Instead of looking for some form of God, I believe we should look at the day to day miracles. Strangers going out of their way to help each other. Kindness, empathy, love, equality. It is the essence of God.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

I think it is all a matter of faith. Based on what you believe, you can either see God's hand in everything around you or in nothing at all. Those who are strong in faith are often able to see God's influence even when things seem to be going wrong.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

bb587 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:46 If you think reading the bible has no effect on your life, you're not really reading it. Yes, the situations have changed, technology has changed, but His lessons remain. His grace and mercy remain. Books like the BOTM help us to put things into perspective.
I agree with you. There's been a lot of changes in human history, but God's word endures forever. It still has a powerful effect to those who read and meditate on the message.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Othervi wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:29 In the past, scriptural stories related to the Bible were very important in human life. They presented a worldview in which they showed human beings important things related to the Hereafter, the fall of man, the afterlife, the rewards and punishments, and so on.

But do these stories still work today? Or are they just read for hobby and enjoyment? Stories like the ones in I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

In my opinion, they no longer have a role in human life, because our history has changed a lot. Now these stories are important for literal aspects. Also they're noticeable because they are beautiful and probably have some tips. But in our view of the world they have little effect.
I get your point. The majority in the society love pleasure rather than God, which is why you may feel like the scriptural stories isn't working in our day today. But we still have people searching for God and they value the bible accounts and principles. We could assume that 85% are less concerned about the scriptural stories, whereas 15% are seeking scriptural guidance.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 14:52 God's word in the Bible is eternal and is still making impact in the present age regardless of technological advancement. I disagree with your opinion of its lessons being only literal. The Bible is still very much applicable in today's world.
Totally. God's word endures forever.
No Wahala
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Wisdom is essential, whether it comes from the Bible or other writings of moral truth. It is uncanny how often I will flip my Bible open and a random passage has some reflection on the problem for which I was seeking guidance. A mindless acceptance of biblical stories or literal translations are not for me. I find the old testament just as thought-provoking as the new testament. After all, aren't we told often enough that those who ignore their history are doomed to repeat it?
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Exodus by Jean Hackensmith

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:50 Sometimes I also wonder if God has left us alone. With all of the terrible things that are happening today, I wonder if God cares.
This is what we do, dont we? We ourselves make those choices, to make this world a better or worse place, and then choose to blame god for letting things get worse. What can god do when humans decide to abuse the power given to them. God has not left us ..we chose to leave his path. We cant see him because we have closed our eyes. He is where he always has been, but the choice to see or not see him is ours.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Regardless of your faith, it is inherently hard to ignore the impact that religion and religious texts play on history. If not as influential for everyday life, scripture is still just as relevant today for societal context.
Burnaard+42
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burnaard-42.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Burnaard+42 »

I don't think God has left us alone but human thinking may have been affected by the modern satin and the emerging of other beliefs like cults. His work and teaching remain the same.
Ddennis88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddennis88.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ddennis88 »

I do not believe God has left us alone. He helps me daily. I do believe scriptural stories are relevant. I am currently in a situation that parallels one of the Old Testament stories. We don't generally deal with the exact situations, but that doesn't mean they aren't symbolic of what we go through. Thank you for your question.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I agree with you in that the stories are not really relevant to modern life now. But I'm not sure what you mean by the title of your post.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I'd say it depends on the reader. For me personally, these stories are for entertainment value, but I can also see where they might have a much bigger effect on someone else. When I was younger, the Bible held a lot more meaning for me. As I've gotten older, it's the stories that hold less meaning but real life, modern people themselves. These stories are hundreds or even thousands of years old, what matters now is how people relate to them and use them to become better versions of themselves. That's just my opinion, though.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”