Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
PoppyBox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by PoppyBox »

Although I am not Christian I have always been interested in the bible stories. The bible itself however, I have found to be difficult to read and therefore disengaging. I like that this book takes away that element, it is easier to read and understand, opening up the bible stories to a wider audience.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoyed the author's thoughts and commentary on familiar bible stories and scriptures. I also admire how much time and effort it must have taken to put together his thoughts on so many stories. I think I would recommend this book to people who are looking to find more clarity about the Old Testament and who enjoy studying the bible in general.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

The way it was simplified, even a Sunday school kid will enjoy reading it.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

This is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book chronologically. It seems mind gripping only by reading the title.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:08 I enjoyed reading this book and enjoyed how well organised it was written-mainly based in order of the passages in the Bible. I loved the expansion of already established Old Testament passages. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
I agree with you that it is well organized. I like how it tells all the Old Testament stories but makes them easier to understand. I think this would be a good book for people who aren't religious but want to understand references and religious culture. Very well-written!
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I think this book is interesting because it gives both a modern "translation" of the classic Bible stories from the Old Testament as well as the authors's viewpoints and opinions on parts that are unclear or unsaid. I think this book is very well-written.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I think the author is very brave to take on a task like rewriting the Old Testament into a novel-type format. The problem with this is translation of ideas and concepts with accuracy. Bible translators use teams of language, history and theology experts to accurately transmit what was originally written. Their own thoughts, ideas and understandings don’t matter - the original writings are what matter most. I would recommend this book to people who just want an easy to read, general idea of the stories of the Bible. But I wouldn’t recommend it to people who want accuracy in their study of the Bible.
KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KojoGH »

This book summarises the old testament stories. It encouraged me to read these stories because I find it difficult to read large chapters of story book and the old testament is one those. But the author kept referring to new testament too. I would rate this book 3.5 stars out of 4 stars
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I love the stories in the Bible and applying the lessons in my life, so having a book like this that gives a chronological story is a great one.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great

Post by KojoGH »

This book discussed stories that teach a lot of moral and religious lessens. Hence I would encourage everyone to try and get copy to read mostly for the moral lessons. Thank you Val!
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Well written book giving clear explanations of the old testament part of the Bible.The gaps are well filled.
Nkembabe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkembabe.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Nkembabe »

The book is easy to read and understand, unlike most religious books. I like the fact that the old testament scriptures were explained in such simple terms and with relatable stories. It is also a plus in my opinion that the scriptures were not strictly old testament.

I think it is a nice book to read for Christians and open minded readers. There is a lot of lessons to be learnt from the book.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Greenwood did an excellent job using modern language to selected Old Testament passages. I thought they were easier to understand. I found it to be well-written and professionally edited. There isn't anything that I didn't like about this book. In fact, I would recommend this book as a companion when studying The Bible; I think it would help to clarify the stories when reading one of the more commonly read Bible versions (KJV, NIV).
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I’m not entirely religious, so I don’t really expect me to be interested in reading the book.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

MatereF wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 03:24 As a lover of Bible Stories, this is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book in chronological order making it simpler to read. I will also recommend this book to my family members, fellow Sunday school teachers and friends.

I'm definitely going to read it I ddint knew about the chronological order but that seems like a good system for a book like this
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”