Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the August 2019 Book of the Month, I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories by Val D. Greenwood.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

As a lover of Bible Stories, this is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book in chronological order making it simpler to read. I will also recommend this book to my family members, fellow Sunday school teachers and friends.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I enjoyed reading this book and enjoyed how well organised it was written-mainly based in order of the passages in the Bible. I loved the expansion of already established Old Testament passages. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

I like the quote of the Bible that was made the title of the book. I rejoice at the Lord's promise. I am sure He kept it, whether we recognize it or not. Mankind has been prone to complaining, to wanting more. I am sure that Val D. Greenwood's book will find a readership that will enjoy reading it. I myself will stick to the Bible and the priests' interpretation of it in church.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While I have just started reading this book, I am looking forward to reading the book in its entirety. The author provides chapters that are easy to read even for those who don't have any previous knowledge regarding the Old Testament. I like that the chapters are quite short and Greenwood uses simple language. This would be a great book for anyone like me, who has had a difficult time understanding text from the Old Testament. I would not recommend this book to those who are rigid in their beliefs of another religion.
I look forward to furthering my knowledge!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

MatereF wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 03:24 As a lover of Bible Stories, this is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book in chronological order making it simpler to read. I will also recommend this book to my family members, fellow Sunday school teachers and friends.
I also love bible stories and studying about biblical characters. I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation is already on my bookshelf. :mrgreen:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

The book is really detailed, that is what I love about it. And the author is right about people overlooking the old testament.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I like that the book is written in plain English making the Old Testament stories come to life. I have always had a problem with the King James version. I am not a very religious person, and so the content wasn't that interesting to me. I will give this book 3 out of 4 stars.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I really like the concept of this book and especially like the way its written with such interesting insights. Perhaps it is a bit dense at times however I think pushing through is worth it. I love how much content there is within the book as well.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I was hoping that it could be more than just a summary of the Old Testament. When I read the description, I was under the impression that it would have more deep thoughts and discussions on the topics and stories in the Old Testament.
That said, it was still an entertaining read.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I don't like books about religious concepts. For someone like me, this book is not enjoyable because I am atheist. This book does not suit all religions.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Praise1989
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise1989.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Praise1989 »

I like the book because the author's detailed explanation of some stories in the old testament.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

I did not like that this is billed as a book about the Old Testament but has New Testament information mixed in. I’m not Christian and think that it takes too much liberty with the stories that I read from the samples. I definitely won’t be reading the rest and wouldn’t recommend this. I’d say if you want the story to go straight to the source.
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

As a Christian who love bible stories but also lazy at reading long old testament stories..I like this book for summarising and writing the stories in simple English for me to read and understand easily. I would recommend this book to all Christians and to those who love history. Because the stories are inspiring and I would be happy if the book had not contain new testament information. It should have been based on old testament as suggested from the Title.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

Thanks for the book Val as such books fill the missing gaps of questions I have about story of creation hence I am looking forward to reading the story.It seems mind gripping only by reading the title.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”