Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by jemgirl202 »

gali wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 00:30 This is a discussion topic for the August 2019 Book of the Month, I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories by Val D. Greenwood.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
I feel that while these stories are important to everyone, especially those who are religious. For me, there doesn't seem much more to add and it is just the same discussion over and over again.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

The title itself is eye-catching, I am a fan of Biblical texts, therefore, I look forward to reading this book. The author really captures the topics that are being avoided so much.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

MatereF wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 03:24 As a lover of Bible Stories, this is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book in chronological order making it simpler to read. I will also recommend this book to my family members, fellow Sunday school teachers and friends.
I also love Bible Stories. I noticed you recently reviewed the same book I just finished reading.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:30
MatereF wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 03:24 As a lover of Bible Stories, this is a book I will definitely read. I like the fact that the author has arranged the book in chronological order making it simpler to read. I will also recommend this book to my family members, fellow Sunday school teachers and friends.
I also love Bible Stories. I noticed you recently reviewed the same book I just finished reading.
Good to know!
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

I have not read the book yet. But my overall opinion is one of a positive commendation. Such books will help readers understand the purpose of God for humanity.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I'm something of a Bible geek if that makes any sense, so I actually like the promise of the entire book. Same way I would any book that seeks to expound on the wealth of knowledge in the Bible to further our understanding of its message.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

Reading all your responses, I think I’m more interested in reading it now because it sounds like it would be an easier text to digest in a sense.
saartjiee1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saartjiee1.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by saartjiee1 »

I am not really a fan of religious books, not because i am not a believer but because they have just never been my thing. I think this book is a great book if it got a person like me glued till the end!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Following most of the comments, it does seem that the book has been enjoyed by a number of people. I shall therefore consider reading it even though I had not really liked it at first.
MA
Israt Siddique
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Israt Siddique »

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation takes the reader on a significant journey through the inspirational stories of the Old Testament.

Author Val D.Greenwood, a lifelong student of sculpture, offers a comprehensive accurate collection of more than 200 stories of the people and prophets of the Old Testament.
The readers will find his favorite stories from childhood, along with many less familiar but equally moving accounts of faith and devotion, presented in the comfortable and reverent
style of the author.
I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation brings the Old Testament to life.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Overall, I appreciate the author for undertaking this great task to make the stories in the Bible more accessible to those who otherwise wouldn’t read the Bible or who want to understand it better. He does his best to fill in some gaps, but I believe the gaps are best left there if you are not 100% sure of what you are putting in them. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Given the fact that this book is a summary and should be used as a supplement of the old testament, I am looking forward to reading it and from the literature, I have read I highly recommend it.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love bible stories and this is one I can't afford not to read. Looking forward and pumped as I wait to read this.
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

The author's representation of fact is misleading and wouldn't recommend this to Christians. The author must heed to the direction of the Holy Spirit.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think this book certainly deserves to be a book of the month. I really appreciated the fact that the author displays God's love and faithfulness by showing His promises throughout the Old Testament, and this book is perfect. I believe this book is suitable for every reader, both Christians, and non-Christians, as it can strengthen Christians' faith, but also bring non-Christians closer to God. I recommend this book to anyone who needs hope and comfort. I would like to specifically thank the author for his work on this marvelous book. Thank you!

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”