Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book consists of over 200 passages from the Old Testament from the story of creation, Abraham, Jacob and Joseph, to David and Solomon and even King Ahab. The author used a unique interpretation to expand on these passages. Did it affect how you understand the Old Testament?
What passage affected your understanding?
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

As someone who has always struggled reading the Old Testament stories, I found Greenwood's writing to be a welcome reprieve. The story of Abel and Cain provided me with a better understanding regarding the negativity surrounding envy. I look forward to reading all of the passages!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:59 As someone who has always struggled reading the Old Testament stories, I found Greenwood's writing to be a welcome reprieve. The story of Abel and Cain provided me with a better understanding regarding the negativity surrounding envy. I look forward to reading all of the passages!
I was drawn into this book as I read the story of creation. The explanation that the days of creation have no definable limit made me understand Genesis much better.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:59 As someone who has always struggled reading the Old Testament stories, I found Greenwood's writing to be a welcome reprieve. The story of Abel and Cain provided me with a better understanding regarding the negativity surrounding envy. I look forward to reading all of the passages!
I fully agree with you. Only scholars can understand some passages. We do need books like this to reinforce God's teachings.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I didn't have a religious upbringing, but I've always enjoyed reading religious literature as a way for me to understand certain people's beliefs. Since I've never read the Old Testament, I can't compare the two, but I did enjoy reading the author's take on the traditional passages.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

LinaMueller wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:34
I fully agree with you. Only scholars can understand some passages. We do need books like this to reinforce God's teachings.
I agree that some passages are hard to interpret and that book like these go a long way in helping interpret certain parts of the Old Testament for present readers.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:14 I didn't have a religious upbringing, but I've always enjoyed reading religious literature as a way for me to understand certain people's beliefs. Since I've never read the Old Testament, I can't compare the two, but I did enjoy reading the author's take on the traditional passages.
The author's take on what time during creation looked like was very understanding and eye-opening. I had not considered that prior to the crearion of night and day how time might be interpreted, or how long those first days of creation might have been.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I must admit I have never read the Old Testament in its entirety. Still, based purely on what I have read, I must admit that the book is much simpler and made understanding the Bible much easier than just reading, especially for newer Christians like me. I especially enjoyed the retellings of Cain and Abel because it was one of my favorite stories from the original collection, and it was much easier to understand.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
ernest kafuna
Favorite Author: Thomas McCoy
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-kafuna.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 168307

Post by ernest kafuna »

The book as much as it caries its origin from the old testament,i dont believe it has the ability of changing ones believe in the bible though it might happen just depending on how strong ones knowledge and biblical foundation is.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

It definitely elevates my understanding of the Bible. I have read other books that explain the Bible in detail, I just love reading other people's thoughts on the Bible and their interpretation of the verses.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I studied both the Old and New Testaments in college. I already have a strong background in the Biblical stories. This book didn't change or challenge any of the beliefs I hold.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I don't think it necessarily changes my understand, it perhaps adds a new perspective but this doesn't take anything away from my understanding if anything it enforces it further.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

The book does not really change my understanding of the Bible. I have learned the doctrine with all of my heart, and the topics that the author discussed (at least the ones I agreed with) were ones that I were aware of. It was basically a summary of the Old Testament with some opinions mixed in. It was an ok read, but not an overly original one.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

leiabutler wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:01 I don't think it necessarily changes my understand, it perhaps adds a new perspective but this doesn't take anything away from my understanding if anything it enforces it further.
I agree. There were a few things that I could see a new side on, but nothing too monumentally changing in my understanding of the scriptures. Like I said in a different post, it wasn’t the most original book about the Bible that I have read.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've always avoided reading the Old Testament for two reasons. 1) It was never really ingrained in me or my family life. We don't identify as terribly religious, but my family does believe in God. 2) It always took such effort to wrap my head around His words written in such a 16th century manner.

I was also impressed with the story of Cain and Abel. As a child, what only stood out to me was: don't murder people! Don't murder your family! Now, I understand envy as well as perseverance as being factors in their story.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”