Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Benthic wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 13:56 It really reminded me of the stories I used to hear as a child and it really was a refreshing experience to read this book.
We all got to hear the stories of The Old Testament passages as children, but I also found this book to be a refreshing retelling of them.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Leah39 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 14:06
Dan_Wellock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 18:31 The book does not really change my understanding of the Bible. I have learned the doctrine with all of my heart, and the topics that the author discussed (at least the ones I agreed with) were ones that I were aware of. It was basically a summary of the Old Testament with some opinions mixed in. It was an ok read, but not an overly original one.
I love that you identified that it carried the author’s opinions. The summary made it sound like he was presenting a factual retelling, but from what I read, it was his take on the stories rather than a retelling in more modern language.
I would argue that his retelling did not seek to change anything from the scriptures but rather create a better understanding of them. I do not honestly see how anyone reads the Bible and believes that even as they read...its their own retelling...their own perspective and opinion that they draw upo. It was refreshing reading someone else's take on well-known passages.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Sandosua wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 22:52 Even though I am not religious, I grew up Mexican Catholic and instead of bedtime stories I got Bible passages at night. In a way, the books allows you to see an easier way to interpret the Bible, but I honestly did not find anything as illuminating or really explanatory as I expected. Reading these different perspectives was refreshing in a way, but I ultimately believe that the Bible's interpretation is a very personal journey.
It was amazing getting a new perspectives on well known passages from the Old Testament. The author did an amazing job of not removing anything from the passages but just seeking to add more themes and context to make them more understandable to modern readers.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Benthic wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 14:38
ernest kafuna wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 13:35 The book as much as it caries its origin from the old testament,i dont believe it has the ability of changing ones believe in the bible though it might happen just depending on how strong ones knowledge and biblical foundation is.
True and this book really draws in young readers as well who always put off knowing scripture because of it being a little different to read
I had been one young reader once and I always kept putting off scripture. This book makes those passages easier to read.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 05:41
Benthic wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 14:38
ernest kafuna wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 13:35 The book as much as it caries its origin from the old testament,i dont believe it has the ability of changing ones believe in the bible though it might happen just depending on how strong ones knowledge and biblical foundation is.
True and this book really draws in young readers as well who always put off knowing scripture because of it being a little different to read
I had been one young reader once and I always kept putting off scripture. This book makes those passages easier to read.
Passages like David and Goliath and the retelling of Cain and Abel had additionalvthemes that the author highlighted in this book. It made the stories quite refreshing and more understandable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Leah39 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 14:06
Dan_Wellock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 18:31 The book does not really change my understanding of the Bible. I have learned the doctrine with all of my heart, and the topics that the author discussed (at least the ones I agreed with) were ones that I were aware of. It was basically a summary of the Old Testament with some opinions mixed in. It was an ok read, but not an overly original one.
I love that you identified that it carried the author’s opinions. The summary made it sound like he was presenting a factual retelling, but from what I read, it was his take on the stories rather than a retelling in more modern language.
My argument is that his retelling of these passages does not take anything from them it just adds context, themes, and an easier understanding of them.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

The Old Testament has always been a challenging read for me, so the modern English used in this book makes understanding it a lot easier.
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

After years of having religious education in school, it was another refreshing take on the bible, especially the old testament. It's nice that we get to see someone trying to explain the passages in a slightly more modern sense, especially since my high school tended to go the more traditional route and that made it so much harder for everyone to understand.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This book made me understand and appreciate more the stories in the bible. It is easy to read and at the same time, it served as a refresher for me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Mmg8464 wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 09:26 This book made me understand and appreciate more the stories in the bible. It is easy to read and at the same time, it served as a refresher for me.
Yes, the book did serve as a refresher course for all those passages that most people know and love and might have forgotten. That made the passages more understandable.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I haven't read the book yet, but I hope it'll be a useful guide to those who find it difficult to read and comprehend the old testament.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

While I enjoyed the book, I wouldn't say it changed my understanding of the Bible. It only showed me a different way of viewing things in the Bible.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

As a somewhat lapsed churchgoer, books like this always catch my attention. While it doesn't change what I remember of the bible, I feel like it clarifies and helps me to understand. This book also makes me want to pick up the bible and do some comparisons!
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nerea wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 15:03 I haven't read the book yet, but I hope it'll be a useful guide to those who find it difficult to read and comprehend the old testament.
Yes, it was a useful guide to those who might find it a bit hard to decipher some of the old testament scripture and the operating timeline. I hope you get to finish the book and answer this topic better.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

lwahls2 wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 17:12 As a somewhat lapsed churchgoer, books like this always catch my attention. While it doesn't change what I remember of the bible, I feel like it clarifies and helps me to understand. This book also makes me want to pick up the bible and do some comparisons!
The book doesn't or isn't aimed at changing the Bible or the underlying message of the passages, rather it seeks to clarify, expound and find additional themes and information in the passages of the Old Testament scriptures to make it more understandable.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”