Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Re: Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

The book gives a better understanding to the passage, so it gives a comprehensive understanding.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

vermontelf wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 13:26 Certainly this book is far easier to read than the Bible, so I would recommend it to anyone interested in studying the Old Testament. The last quarter of the book is fantastic resources. There were a couple stories that I expected to be longer (because I thought I knew them and knew more details) but overall I like the brevity of the stories. The stories of Cain and Abel I benefitted from as I did not know all those details.
I didn't know the book is brief and therefore easy to read than the Bible. Thank you for the recommendation!
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

The book didn’t change my understanding of the Bible at all. I am an avid bible student and so nothing I read in this book was new to me. Some inaccuracies maybe, but nothing new.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I did change my opinion of the Bible, in a positive way! Books like these help young people to understand the Bible in a different way, and I think this is an excellent reinforcer. This book helped me understand the Old Testament better, and I feel like I can tell someone else what the Old Testament is about without hesitation.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 06:18
Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:51
leiabutler wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:01 I don't think it necessarily changes my understand, it perhaps adds a new perspective but this doesn't take anything away from my understanding if anything it enforces it further.
It has also made me get some of those Biblical stories from a different point of view and understanding.
I agree. The retelling of stories like Cain and Abel and that of Abraham were well done and provided additional perspectives making the Old Testament passages more understandable.
Yes, Retelling the Biblical stories gives additional perspectives and makes the Bible more relevant to our daily experiences.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
kenroyreviewer
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenroyreviewer.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by kenroyreviewer »

No book can change your understanding of the bible. The book will only increase your perception of it.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by tkpumpkin »

I've already read the Old Testament, but what this book did for me was enable me to get a bigger broader perspective much faster in a glimpse. Instead of taking me a week to get through Genesis and trying to remember and sort through all the details, I was able to quickly grasp the main concepts in a single evening and make more connections with the new testament.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

No, but it has put a stamp on my understanding of the Old Testament books of the Bible.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

The book doesn't change my understanding of the Bible, but it simplifies the stories since the author presents them in a fun and palatable manner. The book is simple and straightforward. Hence, it could appeal to readers who don't have the time to read the Bible.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

It made me understand it better. The explanations of the stories did well.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

No, it deepens and makes appreciate more of God's love throuh the stories. The author does a good job in potraying the stories in a beautiful way.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I think some of the stories seemed more simplified and explained in a different way. I don't think it changed my understanding though
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

For me, it's not easy to change my understanding of the Bible. However, l may be subjected to probing and may come out with my own findings. My attitude towards the Bible remains the same.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The stories in the Old Testament were necessarily stories relating to people of a pastoral way of life. For instance, the Patriarchs, Abraham, or Jacob, among others, were animal raisers, and the laws would naturally revolve around their trade, albeit primitive by current standards. And their understanding of a God would also be limited by their overview of things relating to their view of life. Interpreted by minds with the present mode of thinking, there would occur many discrepancies deemed to have existed. This is understandable to me.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

It seems so rare today to come across content that makes the Bible more understandable and easy to read. I'm so happy that modern, yet highly accurate editions of the Bible have been produced over the past decade! The Hebrew and Greek scriptures intertwine to create a beautiful portrait of God's qualities and his purpose for humans and this planet. When choosing Bible literature or study aids, it's important to me that I find material that harmonizes with every part of the Bible on both doctrinal and scholarly levels.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”