Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Post by ArriettyClock »

I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
The title could be seen in two ways - firstly that by understanding the teachings in the book that people would make society better generally and hence create a great nation. However, it could also mean that only those undertaking the teachings of the Old Testament are able to create a great nation. This second version is a worrying thought, especially in current societies where religious conflict is still ripe in many countries.
This suggests to me that the title should have been thought over more and replaced with a more suitable title.
Do you think this title is suitable for the book?
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

While I haven't read the book yet, the title seems pretty nice. "Thee" is very biblical. :lol2:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

When I first read the title, without having an inkling what this book was about, I thought of social studies class. I didn't realize this book was covering a religious topic until I read the description.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:47 I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
The title could be seen in two ways - firstly that by understanding the teachings in the book that people would make society better generally and hence create a great nation. However, it could also mean that only those undertaking the teachings of the Old Testament are able to create a great nation. This second version is a worrying thought, especially in current societies where religious conflict is still ripe in many countries.
This suggests to me that the title should have been thought over more and replaced with a more suitable title.
I get your point where you wonder if the title means that only those countries that follow the teachings of the Old Testament can be great? Every country boasts of its culture and thinks they are great. To an extent, this feeling is good. But there is a fine line between patriotism and radicalism I think. Once they start imposing their thoughts on others, being intolerant to other cultures, that is when conflict ensues...
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

srividyag1 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:40
ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:47 I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
I get your point where you wonder if the title means that only those countries that follow the teachings of the Old Testament can be great? Every country boasts of its culture and thinks they are great. To an extent, this feeling is good. But there is a fine line between patriotism and radicalism I think. Once they start imposing their thoughts on others, being intolerant to other cultures, that is when conflict ensues...
I agree with your assessment on there being a fine line between patriotism and radicalism. It is somewhat strange that the interpretation of scripture might cause such an upheaval but also understandable considering the power of religion. The title, in my opinion, is suitable for the book because most people familiar with the Bible know when this statement was said and its meaning.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I honestly at first thought that this would be some adaption of traditional Shakespeare. Only once I read the review did I realize that this was a Christian novel. I never really considered your viewpoints in terms of the title, but I do think that the title could definitely have been replaced.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Oh yes most definitely., the title is most appropriate. The title is the promise God made to Abraham, and the nation is Israel. The old testament focuses mostly on the great people of Israel.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

When I first saw the title I thought this was going to be a book about politics, not religion. I haven't finished the book yet, but I can tell you I was put off by the title. I don't care for religious readings.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I think it is an excellent title. This book puts the Old Testament stories about the children of Israel into chronological order. God told them he would make them a great nation. The title is a direct Biblical quote.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I don't think the title is 'unsuitable' however I don't think it adds anything to the book or put it in the most interesting light. I think perhaps it dulls the book down a little and a more lively or bold title may give the book more of that 'epic' quality.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I think the title was just a bit pretentious, and made me think, “oh, yet another one of these books.” A lot of Christian themed books seem to be the same in title almost. It did seem to just be a summary of the Old Testament. I think the author should have chosen a more unique title.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I actually didn’t see it in the way that your second point posed. I do see it now. There could be some confusion on the basis of what the title was about. More clarification and less of an ominous title would have been better for readers.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Honestly, I hadn't given the title much thought other than my opinion that it was very pretty and striking. But I see your point. The book is supposed to invite a modern reading of the Old Testament, however, using archaic words might weaken its message a little. However, I did notice in the book that some of that old-time language was still put into sparing use. I'd say the title does its job, allowing readers to think of a religious topic just by reading the title. At least, I did. I figured right off the bat that this was a religious novel.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I can't judge if it is suitable or not but like every reader when I tried to guess what the book was about just by reading the title, I thought it might be a patriotism-related book. I came to know later that it was not so. So I do agree that the title is a little confusing.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I think the title is great for the book and anyone who is familiar with the Old Testament in the Bible stories will pick it out quickly. Those who are unfamiliar might struggle a bit although the "Thee" should point them towards the Bible.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”