Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Post by KCWolf »

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:53 When I first read the title, without having an inkling what this book was about, I thought of social studies class. I didn't realize this book was covering a religious topic until I read the description.
I thought the same thing. The title seems very patriotic.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

At first the title gave me a different impression of the book. I thought initially that it was a book on The American Nation and would have tackled racism, sexism among other topics. It was after reading the novel that I realized that it was a book about religion rather than the state of a country's being. In retrospect I would say that it is not the best title for a book of such magnitude, but in reading the novel I can understand why the author chose the title he did and would say that it is very much so a suitable title.
Nalence
Currently Reading: My Lady of Cleves
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Nalence »

I think the title is very suitable since this book is all about the Old Testament stories.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I find the odd. It does not do the book justice. It is does tell us what tjhe book is about.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:47 I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
The title could be seen in two ways - firstly that by understanding the teachings in the book that people would make society better generally and hence create a great nation. However, it could also mean that only those undertaking the teachings of the Old Testament are able to create a great nation. This second version is a worrying thought, especially in current societies where religious conflict is still ripe in many countries.
This suggests to me that the title should have been thought over more and replaced with a more suitable title.
Do you think this title is suitable for the book?
I think you misunderstood the title. See, the entire Old Testament is about the descendants of Abraham. And it is a product of God's promise to Abraham in Genesis, "I Will Make of Thee A Great Nation." All those characters you read about in the Old Testament are part of the 'Great Nation'.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:47 I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
The title could be seen in two ways - firstly that by understanding the teachings in the book that people would make society better generally and hence create a great nation. However, it could also mean that only those undertaking the teachings of the Old Testament are able to create a great nation. This second version is a worrying thought, especially in current societies where religious conflict is still ripe in many countries.
This suggests to me that the title should have been thought over more and replaced with a more suitable title.
Do you think this title is suitable for the book?
I share my views with you. The second thought is not a very good one and the title could have been something more eye-catching and a little more related to the content.
aPaige01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apaige01.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by aPaige01 »

I agree that the latter interpretation is a bit extreme. I do think the book would benefit from a different title, but the the irony has to be appreciated. Maybe I’m the only one that noticed but, a controversial title with potentially multiple interpretations for a book that deals solely with the Old Testament which is completely controversial with many interpretations. Maybe the author had a point?
Soren-Layall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Soren-Layall »

Well I think the subtitle "Old Testament Stories" should be enough to show that the book has religious elements, but I do think the subtitle should be more apparent.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It is a meaningful phrase, part of an important message that The Creator sent in Genesis 12: 2 but the book covers many biblical stories, perhaps another title would have fit better.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

The title is indeed a direct quote from the Bible, it is the promise that God made to Abraham. Seeing as Abraham is seen as the father of all Jews, the title is very fitting. It is in a way a reassurance that although the writer is trying to tell the Old Testament in a modern way, he is not changing anything.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I think it fits because it was the promise of God given to His People, and the Old Testament explains the why and how of the promise in detail.
eandjmccain
Currently Reading: The Nouveau Riche
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by eandjmccain »

I believe the title to be suitable for this book because God promised Abraham that he would be the father of many nations and they would be great. Abraham and his descendants are a large and important part of the Old Testament and what is forever happening in Israel and the surrounding nations today, the interpretation of the old testament and who was promised what.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

The title seems quite provocative to me. I find it a suitable choice, although it may mislead the reader about the genre of the novel.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

In my opinion, yes. The old testament is mostly the collection of stories of the Israelites. The Israelites are the "great nation" that the title is referring to. Since the title is the promise of God to Abraham, and the Israelites' father is Abraham.
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

I liked the title of the book as it was more philosophical rather than biblical for me.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”