Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Re: Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Post by nchoate12 »

I think it's fitting. It's a past history in a way.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

The title is relevant. A nation is born, the nation grows one conquer after another. It is indestructible so it is great. The author could not have chosen a better title!
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:47 I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
The title could be seen in two ways - firstly that by understanding the teachings in the book that people would make society better generally and hence create a great nation. However, it could also mean that only those undertaking the teachings of the Old Testament are able to create a great nation. This second version is a worrying thought, especially in current societies where religious conflict is still ripe in many countries.
This suggests to me that the title should have been thought over more and replaced with a more suitable title.
Do you think this title is suitable for the book?
I think it's an okay title because it revolves around perhaps the most pivotal event of the OT -- God's promise to Abraham, which has significance for both Jews and Christians. In the NT, the OT promises are spiritualized to refer to Christ, but even many Christians believe the "great nation" will be established and ruled by Jews, with Jerusalem as the capitol, during a 1000 year kingdom. :techie-studyingbrown:
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

The title is obviously suitable. The old testament prophesy has always been on Abraham to be the great nation. so, the title fits well.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I think the title is appropriate. This book focuses on the old testament and, 'I will make of thee a great nation' was God's promise made in the old testament to Abraham. The Israelites were the beneficiaries of this great promise.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I believe that the title couldn't be better placed. My beliefs are based on the fact that the auther may have wanted to appeal to a greater audience at a go without necessarily putting of atheists, pagans and members of other religious groups. Though the title may instantly put off a non-Christian reader, he/she would not shy off without meditating upon the book.
Bet on Me! :idea:
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

Yes, I find the title just right for the book. The title quotes the old Testament in which God promised to Abraham to make him a great nation. It is in the book of Genesis. Abraham means Father of Many. Abraham becomes a Father of a truly great nation. God also promises to Abraham that through him he will bless all nations. And that is a promise of bringing Christ out of his lineage and by doing so blessing all the nations. The book itself also narrates about the Old Testament. Therefore nothing odd about the title.
Savage3
Currently Reading: Find Another Dream
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savage3.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Savage3 »

Hey Arriety,

I agree, I found the title fairly off putting. I'm really exhausted by politicians manipulating scripture to push their policy of the moment. Most of it is bastardizations anyway. So many wars have been fought with leaders insisting their cause was backed by some higher power. That's immediately what the title brought to mind for me. Major turn off.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I do agree with your concern. The title does not fit the premise of the book. A more religious title would have been apt.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

It's a great title. God promised Abraham that He would make his offspring as numerous as the stars; it's one of the great passages in that biblical story. I think it gives the potential reader a desire to find out what that means by reading the book and comparing it to what his/her Bible has to say. So, I vote YES
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Even though I have not read the book, I also didn't quite buy the title given to it. It's another attempt at seeing he world from the eyes of one religion, which can be bad for readers who do not believe in that religion.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Yes, the title seems a little bit more specific. At first, I thought the story focused only on Abraham and God (Genesis). The author should have made the title a bit generic
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the title is pretty strong.
Kathryn Collins
Favorite Author: Mark Leon Collins
Currently Reading: Inquirer's Bible
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-collins.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
fav_author_id: 196676

Post by Kathryn Collins »

ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:47 I found the title an odd choice, seeing as the book is about promoting the teachings of the Old Testament in a new and modern way.
The title could be seen in two ways - firstly that by understanding the teachings in the book that people would make society better generally and hence create a great nation. However, it could also mean that only those undertaking the teachings of the Old Testament are able to create a great nation. This second version is a worrying thought, especially in current societies where religious conflict is still ripe in many countries.
This suggests to me that the title should have been thought over more and replaced with a more suitable title.
Do you think this title is suitable for the book?
I have not read the book so I am not sure about the title. However, in the Bible itself, God says these words to Israel. He makes Israel a great nation through various Jews named throughout the Bible. His purpose is to use the Jewish people to spread His name throughout the world. He wants all to know who He is and to know him.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

I like the title of the book because it is very catchy. The bible is relevant for all ages so the thought that the title is traditional does not hold water. It helps the readers to have a view of what to expect in the book.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”