Days of Creation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Re: Days of Creation

Post by Bambiears »

Michelle Fred wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 09:08 According to the Bible, God created the Earth with words of mouth. I believe 7 literal days is enough for God to command anything he wants into existence.
Amen! Michelle Fred. It dont take long to speak a whole heapnof things for us humans so imagen what God could get said in one twenty four hour spand.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

reneelu1998 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:01
Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:39 I agree. The days mentioned in the Bible were not literary days. The Old Testament was written from Jewish Oral traditions and I think the different phases of creation in different periods of time. The periods of time could be only translated as days.
That's so true! It could have been translated "days", but not actually mean a 24 hour day which is how we think of a day.
Thanks for supporting my opinion. I believe even the years mentioned in the Genesis aren't the same as our years.That some of the Genesis characters lived almost a thousand years is incredible.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

How does one really define days when nothing had yet to be created? I feel like it was really just time periods, like the book suggests
HansonThoughts
Currently Reading: The Attuned
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansonthoughts.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by HansonThoughts »

No, he does not seem to be peddling a falsehood here. It is a plausible that the 7 days of creation is actually referring to 7 breaks in time, which may not be days but months, years, or periods. This may reflect a convention to communicate time in days to make it simple. So yes, I completely agree. There is no way to prove it, but it sounds plausible nevertheless.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by kali09 »

Well, there is a verse in the Bible that talks about a day with the Lord is as one thousand years and a thousand years is as a day. :eusa-think: Who really knows for sure?
V 1 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-1-5.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by V 1 5 »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 02:26 I think its not literal days. I think its could be 7 defined periods. Or maybe 7 seconds. Someone even pointed out that the length of the days were longer than what it is now. But i think its one of those mysteries that are kept from human kind, and thats fine.
I totally agree with this. God's days are different than human's perception of days.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

It is entirely possible that the days were not 7 literal days. The concept of time has changed over the years, based on what written non-religious history we have. I do not see why it is impossible to think that the concept of days has changed over time.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
wanjalawafula
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by wanjalawafula »

No, they were not literal days. I'm not sure the criterion God used to chart His days.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by tkpumpkin »

Yes creation happened in 7 days. People try to merge science and scripture by saying it took longer because they can't believe God could do such a thing. God designed it in a way that baffles man, and satan will always put ideas into man's head that undermines God's word. Certain things are not always literal in the Bible, but I believe this to be literal.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

It's difficult to decide, I believe it would've had to have been more than 7 days. Seven days seems like such a small time for so much to be created.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I've struggled with that question for a long time. I tend to agree with him. Time is a human construct. In comparison to a being that exists outside of time, how can we be sure our perceptions of time are anything even remotely similar?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I didn’t read this book, but I was raised in a very religious family, and have a good basis for answering this question. I believe the claim that God created the world in seven days was not meant to be literally. And if it was seven days, I don’t think they were days in the same terms as we understand a 24 hour day.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I believe the author could be correct. It is clear in the Bible that time is measured differently. In Genesis many lived well past 100s.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

In my view may or maybe not.The place was garden of Eden nowadays it is now as Africa, Asia ,Europe and so on.There are some beautiful places historical like the pyramids in Egypt, source or the Nile, attractive like Las Vegas, New York. Innovations from computers like the abacus to smart phones like blackberry.I wonder how that God still is creating , God said,' lets make man to resemble us'.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I totally agree with the author. The 7 days of creation literally doesn't mean 7 days. it was mention in the bible that one thousand years on earth is one day in heaven.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”