Days of Creation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Days of Creation

Post by ashley_claire »

I believe the author's interpretation is correct and it's safe to assume that seven days back then isn't literally the weeklong timeline that we think of today.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

I agree with the author's opinion that the seven days of creation might not be literal days because the book of revelation reveals that to God, a thousand years is equivalent to one day. It is therefore difficult to estimate the length of the creation period.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

B Creech wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 03:28 That's something I believe no one can say for sure. The Bible says "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day " (KJV) 2 Peter 3:8. I don't think God goes by a "time" as we know it. This is just one of the great mysteries in the Bible, in my humble opinion!
I agree. That we even try to put The Creator in the same frame of reference with ourselves is way too egocentric for my liking.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

There is a scripture that talks of 1 day being 1000years. Yes, i beleive the 7 creation days are symbolic rather than literal. It could also mean seasons.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I agree with the author that the 7days of creation doesn't mean literal 7 days. And who what the time frame back then were. In my opinion that's one of those things kept from our knowledge
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Ever heard that, in heaven a 1000 days is like 1 day and 1 day is like a 1000 days. God is enormous and we can not fit him into our time frames!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

We cannot disregard that analysis. But on the other hand, if the case that a day represent a thousand years, then, is there any single person live seven thousand years, just to keep the record for the story of creation? Or is it safe to believe that Christian or People of God should now believe on the Theory of Charles Darwin? The EVOLUTION theory? So, where do you think this Book will lead us? Is not towards confusion'
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

I don't think Val Greenwood's is a staunch Christian. He could have easily written the the Biblical truth. The Holy Bible says its seven days and that's what I believe and nothing else.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

The interpretation that the seven days of creation weren't literally 24 hours long harmonizes well with the fossil record and what we know about the age of our physical planet. After all, since the God responsible for creating the Earth is also responsible for inspiring the Bible's message, scientific fact shouldn't conflict with Biblical accounts!
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

That is an error on the part of the author according to his understanding based on different theories about creation. The Bible is very true. The days are undisputably seven literal days. They are the same days that we have today: starting from Sunday, the first day, and Saturday, the seventh day. This is why God gave the Israelites the Sabbath day as their resting day as He rested on the same seventh day, Saturday.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Well in Exodus while giving the ten commandments, God explicitly stated that he rested on the Sabbath day which is the seventh day. If He didn't create the universe in the 7days mentioned, I don't think that law would have been made
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I totally agree, different cultures tell time differently so why wouldn't it be the same when referring to days.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I am just wondering, if these were not literal days, why did God use the phrases 'night and day' 'evening and morning' or 'light and darkness' in describing the creation? In addition, Plants require sunlight for photosynthesis. These plants were created on day 3, how did they survive without the sun if the days were longer back then? How did these plants reproduce without the insects created on day six?
God is an organized being and everything that occurs on earth is organized if you take time to analyze.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

I think I equally agree with the author. God is so mysterious that it is difficult for us to actually understand how long his 1 day is.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

LV2R wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 05:30 I truly believe that it does not really matter if God took a literal seven days to create everything or if it took 7,000 years or more. The real matter is that God created everything even if we do not understand how He did it or how long it took. Do I believe that God could create everything in seven days? Yes, I do! It does not bother me if people believe it took longer.
I agree with you and yea it doesn't matter what others think

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”