Days of Creation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Days of Creation

Post by Jsovermyer »

Do you agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days? He says we can't be sure how long the time periods actually were. What do you think?
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I think its not literal days. I think its could be 7 defined periods. Or maybe 7 seconds. Someone even pointed out that the length of the days were longer than what it is now. But i think its one of those mysteries that are kept from human kind, and thats fine.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

The world was very different back then, so its really difficult for the time period defined to be one day. Moreover, on day 4 actual day and night was created. Earlier there was just light. So the time period involved is less than 1 day.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

That's something I believe no one can say for sure. The Bible says "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day " (KJV) 2 Peter 3:8. I don't think God goes by a "time" as we know it. This is just one of the great mysteries in the Bible, in my humble opinion!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

YES,depending on the innovations we are experiencing today,SEVEN days may have only been for creating the nature that surrounds us today for may be I am in agreement with that.Today with what I witness about religion,I am becoming more doubtful.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I don’t think that it’s literally 7 days. I think time was understood to be different back then. Who knows? A day might have meant something different then it does now.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I truly believe that it does not really matter if God took a literal seven days to create everything or if it took 7,000 years or more. The real matter is that God created everything even if we do not understand how He did it or how long it took. Do I believe that God could create everything in seven days? Yes, I do! It does not bother me if people believe it took longer.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

The view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days is tricky to me. However, I'll see if I can agree with it after I'll have read the book.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

Yes, I do agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of creation does not mean the literal 7 days. In God's greatness, He could just say "Let there be light" and instantly light exists.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I have read a lot of things about this subject. There's even a passage in the Bible that says a day is like a thousand years. So on that premise, I would not totally disregard his assertion.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

It must go back to the original translation which is doubtful that it is an exact literal translation. Leads to confusion.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

This is not the first time I have heard this suggested. If you want to read a pretty in depth analysis about how it could be explained, you should check out “The Biblical Clock” by Daniel Friedmann. It reads really well beside this book and is very informative.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

I have definitely heard it suggested before. A lot of people consider that ideology articularly because the Bible says "With the Lord, a thousand years is like a day", and vice versa. I'm not quite sure what to believe these days
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Jsovermyer wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:16 Do you agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days? He says we can't be sure how long the time periods actually were. What do you think?
T was a new interpretation to the actual length of days. I somehow liked this interpretation because I remember God operating on days before day and night were established.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Of course i agree with the author. Because it is mentioned that 1 day on Earth is equivalent to 1000 days in Heaven. As a result God's time is not the same as ours hence, the 7 days of creation doesnt mean literal 7 days.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”