Days of Creation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Re: Days of Creation

Post by Smrithy »

Well, that is a matter of our personal beliefs even though no one one is quite sure about it. But since the author has given us a reasonable explanation, I agree with the author.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

I agree. The days mentioned in the Bible were not literary days. The Old Testament was written from Jewish Oral traditions and I think the different phases of creation in different periods of time. The periods of time could be only translated as days.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
homelight
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by homelight »

This is good Hebrew grammar and suggests each sentence is built upon the previous announcement, absolutely indicating that the times were consecutive and not separated by any period of time. The genesis account well-known shows that the Word of God is authoritative and effective. Most of God’s creative work is accomplished by speaking, some other indication of the power and authority of his word. Let us look at every day of God’s innovative paintings:
Days of advent
first day:Earth,area,time and mild.
2nd day:environment.
1/3 day:Dry land and plant.
Fourth day:Sun,moon,megastar.
Fifth day:sea and flying creature.
Six day:Land ,animal ,man
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I don't think it's literal days. The meaning of "day"- just like the rest of the languages- changes through time.
okello003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okello003.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by okello003 »

I strongly disagree with the assertion that 7days of creation may not have been literally days. The truth is that the word of God is yes and Amen. No matter how we may try to come up with own philosophy it will never change. Since God is supreme and all powerful all is possible. The Bible clearly states that it took 7 days not any other things. God was very systematic and engaged in every day of the week till the seventh day when He rested. The statement about one day is like 1000 days to God, it applies when it comes to our personal relationship with God; act of worship.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

B Creech wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 03:28 That's something I believe no one can say for sure. The Bible says "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day " (KJV) 2 Peter 3:8. I don't think God goes by a "time" as we know it. This is just one of the great mysteries in the Bible, in my humble opinion!
I agree. His ways are higher than our ways and I don’t think we’ll ever gain enough knowledge to understand everything while we’re here on earth.
Arthur Ahrens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-ahrens.html
Latest Review: Fearless Thinking, Stress-free living, Guaranteed (Almost) by Purandar A. Amin

Post by Arthur Ahrens »

I agree with OliviaLouise. The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann clearly lays out how the Bible's account of creation can easily be reconciled with the theory of evolution. It also goes on with a theoretical account of how and when the end of days might occur. It is a well researched and fascinating read. In short, no, I do not believe the Bible is talking about actual days as we define them because at the time of creation we had not yet defined them. Our days as we see them are a creation of the human mind, and I doubt that God, who has infinity, would have been confined to days.
:techie-reference:
obsidianskies85
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsidianskies85.html
Latest Review: Chronicles of Guys Intradimensional Divine Encounter by Guy juarez

Post by obsidianskies85 »

I believe that the "7 days" is not something that should be taken literally because it could have really been any length of time. If you really think about it time is something that is so strictly defined by us humans. So I believe it could be interpreted in so many different ways.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

God's time is not the same as ours hence, the 7 days of creation doesnt mean literal 7 days. I won't totally disregard with this assertion.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Jsovermyer wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:16 Do you agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days? He says we can't be sure how long the time periods actually were. What do you think?
This is a very interesting question. I think that the 7 "days" of creation could have been more like time periods or perieods of creation rather than a literal 24 hours. On the other hand, it could have easily been 24 hours since with God anything is possible. What do you think? I'm not sure if it really makes all that much of a difference. :D
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:39 I agree. The days mentioned in the Bible were not literary days. The Old Testament was written from Jewish Oral traditions and I think the different phases of creation in different periods of time. The periods of time could be only translated as days.
That's so true! It could have been translated "days", but not actually mean a 24 hour day which is how we think of a day.
KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KojoGH »

I agree with him because I also heard that thousand years on earth is a day in heaven. So we can't really tell, can we?
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I have thought about this question before too, and I in a bit agree with the author. I say YES.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

reneelu1998 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:00
Jsovermyer wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:16 Do you agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days? He says we can't be sure how long the time periods actually were. What do you think?
This is a very interesting question. I think that the 7 "days" of creation could have been more like time periods or perieods of creation rather than a literal 24 hours. On the other hand, it could have easily been 24 hours since with God anything is possible. What do you think? I'm not sure if it really makes all that much of a difference. :D
I agree. It really doesn't matter how long creation took.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

I think the Genesis account of creation, mentioning, 'and there was evening and there was morning the ...day' suggests short days.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”