Which character do you like the best?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Re: Which character do you like the best?

Post by Heatholt »

I would totally agree with Joseph. He has such an inspiring story and his attitude through all his trials is truly remarkable. I appreciated this take on his story and his perseverance.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
SusanMc19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SusanMc19 »

Joseph without doubt! He demonstrates unfaltering faith in the face of hardship. He is loyal and gentle throughout and never in any doubt about God's plan for him. He is an inspirational character.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I did like Joseph, how he goes through so much bad but still manages to persevere and be the better person. I'm also interested in Satan as some of the other posters have said, the whole thing about him being a fallen angel -- as a fictional character, he is so fascinating!
V 1 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-1-5.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by V 1 5 »

I like Moses who did not become bitter when he was left out of the promise because of his inexact obedience.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

evraealtana wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:54 Odd as it sounds, my favorite character in these retellings is actually Lucifer. I love the way the author gave him wants, needs, and dreams of his own, rather than painting him as "evil for evil's sake", as many portrayals of him do. I think stories are always richer when the antagonist is "human", too.

That being said - not being a religious person myself, I look at the work from a literary/storytelling angle, rather than an inspirational/belief-affirming one. Perhaps someone with a different perspective would look more at the messages rather than the delivery.
I have to completely agree with this! Lucifer was a fallen angel, it would be inappropriate to portray him as a 2D character. I feel like deeply understanding his backstory/history in the way that Val does would enable greater understanding comprehension of his 'evilness'
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Daniel has been always one of my favorites. He stays true to his faith even when there is opposition.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

I like the story of Job. He trusted God, and his faith never waned even in times of adversity. Lot also inspires me because he followed God's teaching and stayed righteous although he lived in a morally bankrupt society.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Aaron is one of my favorites. His character inspires me because God chose him to fulfill a powerful role as the first high priest in spite of that situation with the golden calf and his and Miriam’s little temper tantrum because they had to take orders from Moses. Aaron had relatable human flaws and yet had an important role in God’s kingdom. It reminds me that we don’t have to be perfect (thankfully) for God to choose us to do His work.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Joseph is my favorite. His depth, his ability to forgive, and his never ending loyalty and faith make him truly inspirational.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

My favourite was also Joseph like most of the above comments stated. He is a good man. He had been mistreated by his brother and was sold to slavery. But was optimistic and had a strong faith. Even after rising to a higher rank in Egypt didn't go after revenge and embraced his family when the opportunity arose. This shows me that forgiveness is more worthy than revenge
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

My favorite character is Jacob's son, Joseph. Despite the fact that he was sold into slavery, he was able to receive his brothers and forgive them for what they did to him. It also shows that to err is human and to forgive is divine.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

I like Abraham for being obedient, BRAVE and loyal to God. When he face a Greatest challenge of his life by sacrificing Isaac just to show his Love for God. It's not really easy to face such situation.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

Abraham is my favourite character. His obedience to God is a great lesson for me.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

The Bible stories are not works of fiction so I don't think it is appropriate to think of them as characters. Rather they are humans whose lives we have been privileged to hear about. The challenges and trials they went through are real and as such deserve some respect.
That being said, the grass to grace life story of Joseph is extraordinary. It is inspiring and very rich in terms of lessons to be learnt.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

Joseph definitely. I like to see how he responds to such trials and what it makes of him.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”