God's love

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: God's love

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think God placing a mark of protection on Cain showed that He still loved Cain and had forgiven him. Insightful and thought-provoking question. Cheers!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the story of the creation of Eve. Adam worked all day naming the animals and could not find any mate for himself. God saw his need and created the perfect helpmeet for Adam and brought them together. He wanted his highest creature to be happy. He could have created Adam and Eve at the same time - but he brought her to Adam as something special. I think this reveals God's tender heart toward mankind.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Laila_Hashem wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 22:12 Unfortunately, I failed to see God's love in the passages included. I only saw his anger at what his creation had become and the destruction that occurred on earth.
I agree. As I was reading, I didn't see God's love. It seems that God was constantly demanding obedience and no forgiveness if the leader(s) disobeyed. I know that this may come across as tough love, but I don't see that way now.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Jsovermyer wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 22:08
mariana90 wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 21:11
Jsovermyer wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 05:57 I think most of the stories show God's wrath. Why did he put the Tree of Good and Evil in the Garden in the first place? Just to be a temptation? Why did he require a blood sacrifice in the Cain and Abel story? Also the big Angry God story is the Flood. He killed everything on the earth that wasn't on the ark.
My six year old nephew asked me the other day why had God killed everyone in the flood, even the children. :P I couldn't find any answer to satisfy his curiosity and still make him believe that God was good lol.

I agree that God in the Old Testament was written to inspire fear in his followers, not love. I guess the writers thought it was a more effective method to control people :eusa-think:
I think a lot of the stories in the Bible are just parables, meant to teach a lesson. I don't believe they are all true events.
That's an interesting point. I just recently came across a book where the author perceives the first five books of the OT from a mathematical concept. That was a first for me; certainly unique. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
wanjalawafula
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by wanjalawafula »

The story of exodus , when God provided manna and quails to the Israelites in the wilderness.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

In the story of Pharaoh and the Israelites, God proves that he will go the extra mile to save his people. God had a plan for the Israelites, although he executed it in unconventional ways. Pharaoh suffered because of his stubbornness, which proves that we should never doubt God.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

God forgiving Adam and Eve really shows his love
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I think the story of Leah shows God’s love. It must have been so hard being the unloved wife, having your father trick someone into marrying you. God showed His love for her by giving her the honor of bearing Jacob’s first four sons including Judah - the tribe from which the kings and the Messiah would come.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

In most Bible stories, there are both wrath and love displayed together. The story of creation is the best love story ever, that God created Adam and when He say he was lonely, he made Eve to keep him company.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

MatereF wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 05:10
OliviaLouise wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 19:19
ernest kafuna wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 13:06 The story of Adam and Eve shows Gods great love when God sends them out of the garden of Eden in order to prevent Adam and Eve from eating any fruit from the tree of life.These really shows Gods love for his creation
This is a really great point, and one I had never thought of before. Although, I’m curious if life would have been all bad as an immortal residing in Eden. What’s the worst case scenario if they had eaten from the tree of life? Or what if God had just concealed the tree from them?
I guess death is one of the ways that God uses to protect us from the pain & suffering of this world. He uses it to allow us to rest and wait for life in eternity, where everything will be perfect. Immortality would expose us to so much that God knew we were not capable of handling.
wow! I love your explanation of death. It makes it easier to handle. Thank you
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I believe God is Love and his mercies endures forever. Whatever we do, there's always grace and forgiveness when we ask of him. But sin is a reproach that has left us open to his wrath and judgement. The story of Adam and Eve is a good example of the love of God
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

What an honor it is to serve such an amazing God he is quick to anger and always ready to forgive. The old testament is full of many examples of God's grace.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

The very act of Creation shows God’s love. He created a beautiful, satisfying earth and put intelligent creatures, who reflect his qualities, on it, to enjoy life. Human’s selfish actions have spoiled some of our enjoyment of this beautiful gift, but there is still so much evidence of God’s love around us.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think we see examples of God's wraith a lot more in the old testament than in the new. I think God, through Jesus, taught forgiveness and love.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Every book in the Bible God shows Love for his People. But one of the best story that people can feel the love of God is when, he was able to freed the Israelites from the Egyptian from slavery. Because God does not want to see his people on that are situation. Of course you can include on the list the Love of God for Jacob and Joseph. And much more.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”