God's love

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

God's love

Post by LV2R »

The author mentioned that many of the Old Testament stories seem to picture God's judgment, but he hoped that by reading this book one will see God's love poured out on his people. Which story do you think shows God's love?
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I think the story of Cain shows God's love. Eventhough Cain murdered his brother Abel, God put a mark on Cain to prevent others from killing him.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I think most of the stories show God's wrath. Why did he put the Tree of Good and Evil in the Garden in the first place? Just to be a temptation? Why did he require a blood sacrifice in the Cain and Abel story? Also the big Angry God story is the Flood. He killed everything on the earth that wasn't on the ark.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Jsovermyer wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 05:51 I think the story of Cain shows God's love. Eventhough Cain murdered his brother Abel, God put a mark on Cain to prevent others from killing him.
I agree, I think God's love shone off the pages after Cain killed his brother. God could have turned his back on Cain, but instead he ensured his safety.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 09:52
Jsovermyer wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 05:51 I think the story of Cain shows God's love. Eventhough Cain murdered his brother Abel, God put a mark on Cain to prevent others from killing him.
I agree, I think God's love shone off the pages after Cain killed his brother. God could have turned his back on Cain, but instead he ensured his safety.
I'm with you on this as well. There is no truer reflection of God's love than in this story.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
ernest kafuna
Favorite Author: Thomas McCoy
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-kafuna.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 168307

Post by ernest kafuna »

The story of Adam and Eve shows Gods great love when God sends them out of the garden of Eden in order to prevent Adam and Eve from eating any fruit from the tree of life.These really shows Gods love for his creation
ernest kafuna
Favorite Author: Thomas McCoy
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-kafuna.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 168307

Post by ernest kafuna »

God sparing Cain’s life is a great show of love
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

ernest kafuna wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 13:06 The story of Adam and Eve shows Gods great love when God sends them out of the garden of Eden in order to prevent Adam and Eve from eating any fruit from the tree of life.These really shows Gods love for his creation
This is a really great point, and one I had never thought of before. Although, I’m curious if life would have been all bad as an immortal residing in Eden. What’s the worst case scenario if they had eaten from the tree of life? Or what if God had just concealed the tree from them?
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

The story of Adam and Eve is shown as God's love, although I wonder he was always trying to teach lessons (if really he doesn't wanted Adam and Eve to have the fruit of Knowledge then why he planted it in the garden that is created by him) there were other instances also.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

This is a true sign of love from a God who continues to protect us to this day.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

OliviaLouise wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 19:19
ernest kafuna wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 13:06 The story of Adam and Eve shows Gods great love when God sends them out of the garden of Eden in order to prevent Adam and Eve from eating any fruit from the tree of life.These really shows Gods love for his creation
This is a really great point, and one I had never thought of before. Although, I’m curious if life would have been all bad as an immortal residing in Eden. What’s the worst case scenario if they had eaten from the tree of life? Or what if God had just concealed the tree from them?
I guess death is one of the ways that God uses to protect us from the pain & suffering of this world. He uses it to allow us to rest and wait for life in eternity, where everything will be perfect. Immortality would expose us to so much that God knew we were not capable of handling.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree that it is the story of Cain. God showed mercy in him by giving him a mark to keep him safe. Thank goodness for a merciful God.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

MatereF wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 05:10
OliviaLouise wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 19:19
I guess death is one of the ways that God uses to protect us from the pain & suffering of this world. He uses it to allow us to rest and wait for life in eternity, where everything will be perfect. Immortality would expose us to so much that God knew we were not capable of handling.
Very well said and I agree!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree. God repeatedly shows His love for His creation through mercy.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

There are a few instances when we see the wrath of God really. But if we really look into it, the first act of God really displays his most love I think. The way he lovingly creates a place with all resources for us humans to live is the greatest gift humankind has ever received from God and that is his greatest love.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”